TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 November 2013
A few years ago I watched An Inconvenient Truth where upon I suddenly felt quite guilty about being sat in a half empty aeroplane flying across the Atlantic Ocean. When I returned from my trip I bought this book and became a little more determined to do my dutiful bit to reduce man-made global warming.

The book is based on scientific facts and some theories about where we are heading, and therefore there are going to be people who think the world is going to end and the people who think that the theories are all wrong and that nothing could be further than the truth.

The book and show/presentation does paint a bit of a gloomy picture, but you do get a sense of "We better start paying attention to this". The book has not dated and it is still worth a read/view from time to time to remind us why we are recycling and trying to reduce our greenhouse gasses.

The book and show has not had a favourable response from all scientific communities and I think it may have faired better if it hadn't have been so heavy in the "End is nigh" vein. You have to remember that this book came about when the whole global warming theme was becoming a household name and so the majority of us needed to be brought into this gently so the book was a bit of a shock factor. You could argue that that is what was needed, but as my the saying goes "softly, softly, catchee monkey"

Now it is about 6 years on and we are mentally geared up to this and so the shock factor has worn off, but the realities are just the same.
I watched a documentary this week with Prof. Ian Stewart and, paraphrasing him, he said that we don't have to worry about the earth, it will heal, it has recovered after massive climatic disasters in the past. It is the human race that may not survive. I found that comment to be a bit more chilling!
on 27 August 2017
Good read indeed
on 26 August 2017
great
on 20 September 2007
Having a well known presenter has certainly given the book and DVD access to a huge audience and the information is very good but there are many more in depth books to read that cover the problems and the types of changes we can make in more depth. I found the style a bit simple and would point those who are interested in more depth to The Revenge of Gaia or the Weathermakers. We do need lots of ways to get the message across especially to the politicians and in that area Gore has done a great job for his country and the rest of the world.
on 8 September 2006
Being from an environmental research background, I strongly recommend "An Inconvenient Truth" as a good opener to the area of climate change. As a previous reviewer said, it's an easy and well-illustrated read and achieves the aim of putting across the most significant points in a way that should appeal to a wide audience. I also found the brief tangents regarding Al Gore's life and family set his whole passion for the subject in context and made it a more human piece of work rather than a didactic text. In addition, I don't believe it sets out to offer one solution to climate change. I agree it's a way more complex issue than can be solved by local action alone. However, what I see as this books objective is rather to prove to as many as possible that climate change IS happening and that there are ways we could be ameliorating the effects to the benefit of our and other species. We need many more people agreeing that this IS an area where we need to be acting and acting now before the big stuff that WILL make a difference (policy change etc.) will happen. A good, concise, well-written and interesting introduction to the topic.
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 August 2006
Al Gore's book will, I have no doubt, become the standard environmental work of reference for many years to come. It details in an easily accessible, non technical and heavily illustrated way the present environmental problems that humanity faces. In this publication a picture is really worth a thousand words and the words are all relevant. I have no hesitation whatsoever in highly recommending this book.
on 16 October 2006
If you consider yourself to be an 'expert' or 'near expert' on the issues of climate change then this books is not really for you.

It does however explain all the causes of environment change and how it will effect our planet.

The photographs are amazing - and show the changes that we can see in our environment over time. The graphs are clear and fasniating in themselves.

The book is (I am guessing) very much like the slide show he has gone around the world showing. It does often have only a few paragraphs on each page, but includes stunning pictures and graphics. For the reason, I managed to read the whole book in about four hours and I am quite a slow reader. That is why I say it is not for experts as the book doesn't really go into complex detail or go into length about the science of climate change.

However, for me it was a superb book. I am not a scientist. I don't want to read a peer reviewed book that someone has worked on for their PHd - I just wanted to know the facts in enough detail to be interesting without so much detail that it would be boring.

Average mere mortals like me - will love this book.
on 2 December 2009
The science underlying this subject has moved on. Projections of an ever increasing CO2 level seem to be holding on (at a fairly moderate level), yet the best efforts to measure temperature suggest the rate of increase is significantly less than projected 10 years ago. Extreme weather events are not agreed to be in the increase. Historical temperature reconstructions may be less accurate than previously assumed, and the agreement with recent increases in the historical record may be an artefact of the modelling process.
This book is a great example of how scientific data can be selectively reported in order to support financial, social and political aims.
on 26 January 2007
A great book with some fascinating information. The images and diagrams really make this book something else and Gore comes across as a dedicated guy with a very lucid writing style and compelling argument. It remains to be seen if we can act on this, and other pertinent info, to make the changes we need. Highly recommended if you're interested in climate change and want a good introduction or alternatively a beautifully presented book on the subject.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 12 September 2008
I cannot believe that there is a "Young adult" version of this book. For crying out load what is this one then?

I thought the film was poor, but the book, although it follows the film precisely, adds nothing at all to the debate or issue. A huge disappointment and I feel thoroughly conned.

I want to read serious pro material. I believe in understanding an issue. This fails to deliver real scientific facts, only media hysteria and if's and maybe's again.

Dreadful rot.