Customer reviews

on 7 November 2016
Lovely evocative stories. But so very close to her In the Eye of the Sun that if you have read that, you won't need to necessarily read this.

The book is arranged in episodes, each a 'short story' in itself. It is partially autobiographical, or relying on personal experiences. I enjoyed it, but I so wish she had written more novels!
on 28 December 2013
I hadn't realised that 'I Think of You' was a set of short stories when I bought it but that didn't bother me too much. What I did regret was discovering that I already had both of the books from which the stories were drawn and repackaged. However, since one of the two is hard to get hold of, it's not a bad thing that they've been made a bit more accessible.

You'll find a total of nine short stories - some of the entirely standalone, others linked to one another. It can be very confusing, especially if you've not realised hat they are short stories. Each is beautifully constructed and most are deeply moving. Themes of geographic dislocation and alienation appear again and again with Egyptians in England and westerners in Egypt in almost equal measure. There are also several stories based around a broken marriage in which both parties are moving on but not yet divorced. In one the wife meets her not-quite-ex-husband's new girlfriend, in another she's confronted by her ex-mother in law, angry that the husband has taken off to a hotel with his new love and left her and her other son and his wife in his apartment. There's a very moving little tale of a kitten caught up in the family turmoil and a couple about ex-pats trying to find stability in Egypt.

I can't say I loved the book but it certainly reminded me how much I like Soueif's writing and has bumped her novels further up my must read list.
on 24 September 2008
A reprint of selected stories from earlier volumes - not a new work - beware if you already own Sandpiper and Aisha.
on 4 August 2014
VERY WELL CRAFTED SHORT STORIES - A JOY TO READ. THEY CONCERN LIFE/CULTURE OF BOTH EGYPT & ENGLAND.