Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(5 star). See all 37 reviews
on 6 September 2012
This book is a must if you have a hidden hippy lurking somewhere inside you.

It has some pretty impractical advice (how many of us have sheepskins lying aroung these days, to make comfy beds, or to sleep on the beach), but mainly it conjures the spirit of the camp fire & times past when life was simpler.

There are loads of really good old fashioned advice and games to entertain the kids, lovely recipes, but more than anything it just makes you want to get the tent out.

I first borrowed this from a friend and then had to have it myself!
on 30 March 2010
A little bit of inspiration and a lot of information, from tents to clouds, to games and food. A good book to take camping or to cheer you up on a wet or snowy day when you can't wait for better weather. A very positive book about camping and you can easily pick and choose which things you may try and which you won't. I really can't fit more than just the basics in our car. Definitely no duvets and glorious camp kitchen. A lot of things in it you wish a camping friend could tell you. My book has now fallen apart from overuse.
on 14 January 2016
A great book with some excellent recipes. Not just for campers.
on 20 July 2007
I bought this book on the strength of the recommendations I read here and can say that I was not disappointed at all. This book is truly inspirational. I have toyed with the idea of camping for years now and never taken the plunge. After reading this book we bought a family sized tent and loads of other stuff and have just returned from our first fabulous camping trip with two young children. The book is chock full of practical camping tips for those who want to have fun and get back to nature a bit. There are lists of things to take, both essential and non-essential and the photography in the book is truly wonderful. There's also loads of ideas for things to do, meals to cook and ideas on how to keep children amused whilst camping. Before reading this book I didn't think I could take small children camping. Now I have read it I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. It's also quite a nice relaxing camping read! It is definitely a book I will be taking with me on all future camping trips.
5 people found this helpful
on 4 March 2008
This book is really inspiring and I highly recommend it if you are new to camping. It has given me the confidence to get into camping. More than that, it's a philosophy of life! Blissful.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 March 2011
This book really aims to make your camping experience a comfortable one. The authors write with a real enthusiasm, and having great experience with camping holidays provide really useful hints and tips. The lists of what to take I found really useful when planning our camping trip last year. As previous reviewers have stated this isn't aimed at backpackers, its aimed at friends, or families going camping. There are some really good recipies, ideas for games, and a great section on what to do if it rains. Which of course will probably happen at some stage on a british camping holiday!
on 21 February 2008
What a delightful, beautifully presented timeless book; aimed at people who have an appreciation for their surroundings and the finer things in life. These girls have been camping since they were children and as such are an authority on how to camp contentedly and in style.
A cursory glance at this book makes it patently clear that it is aimed at a certain audience, families, groups of friends and couples. I don't know of another book that fills this niche so beautifully. I have only slight interest in outdoor manuals that tell you what equipment to buy, you can get all that kind of info off the internet anyway. The Happy Campers is a book that you will want to keep going back to, it is really so joyful.
We presume reviewer W.J Pye thinks this book is for backpackers, perhaps that is why he scored it so poorly and enthused about Chris Townsend's "The Backpacker's Handbook" the well known authority on desert hiking and how to ford rivers safely. Deserts...!!!??? Give me a break!It never stops raining here why would I need that. And how odd of Pye to want to review a book and score it a zero. Who could be bothered?
And to imply that all other reviews were written by friends is rather insulting to the opinions of others.
5 people found this helpful
on 21 June 2010
I bought this book as a gift for my husband as I remember him reading and re-reading it in a holiday let cottage we stayed in last year.

It is a lovely, feel good book with nostalgic photographs that make you want to get out there into the countryside immediately. The hints, tips and recipes are great and worth a look.

Their website is worth a look, too, for campsite tips.
VINE VOICEon 10 September 2008
I think some of the lower rating reviews for this book to miss the point a bit. It's not designed to instruct you how to undertake wilderness camping with a pack on your back - this is more about boutique camping with your friends and family. I've found it a lovely book; gorgeous ideas and a pleasure to browse through too. Makes me happy just reading it - I will get out there and be a Happy Camper!
3 people found this helpful
on 12 April 2007
What a fun book! Here's the story of a group of friends and their experiences, gathered while frolicking in the great outdoors. Tess and Kat manage to bring together good practical advice, yummy recipes, tips, tricks and games in a beautifully illustrated book. The photos have a special quality to them that makes them timeless, sunny, funny. If you've gone camping before you'll recognize yourself in many of the captured moments, if you haven't you'll feel like going. Pay special attention to the cloud map (my favourite) and trees, flowers, stars, and butterflies illustrations as they'll add an extra layer of sweetness to your days in the open air. What more can I say? A great present to yourself or a special someone else, a cookbook for the soul. Order it, read it, be inspired, turn off the computer, get out and enjoy the sun!
4 people found this helpful