So Many Ways to Begin
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 September 2006
I was a little but disappointed with this after rushing out to buy it as I loved "If nobody speaks of remarkable things". The writing is beautiful, and the story is gripping and intricate. I suppose I felt unsettled by the bleak outlook of some of the characters, and the unfulfilled nature of their dreams. Other reviewers have suggested this is a great book for someone born in the 40s or 50s, so perhaps I'm just too young to appreciate it?
on 4 February 2015
A great author
on 17 February 2013
Having read another Jon Mcgregor novel , If no-one speaks of remarkable things (?) which I found intriguing, I was eager ti read another. This story is more complex and is taking me longer to read but the premise for the story is once again intriguing and I look forward to reaching the end....(there must be some point to the opening story!!)
on 18 August 2007
This is a simple but amazingly captivating book. Some people may describe it as slow but I feel the tempo is good for focusing and enhancing the characters natures and how the story unfolds. It follows the developing relationship of a devoted couple and goes through the trials of such a long lasting relationship. It is a realistic and surprisingly heart warming book that I thoroughly enjoyed and could not put down.
on 27 August 2013
The firs 9 pages are printed in italics this makes reading difficult the plot jumps around and the subject of mental health is very insensitively treated. The story however is compelling and easy to read.
on 3 April 2013
Jon Mcgregor writes in a unique way and this book is very human touching on all the frailties and strengths of life.
on 7 August 2014
Not impressed - in fact I didn't finish reading it.
on 12 August 2009
I'm afraid I found this book not only boring but pretentious. I found the author's trick of setting out, often in one paragraph, several possible scenarios exceedingly irritating.
The same can be said for the main character, for whom I could feel no understanding and less sympathy. The rest of the characters weren't much more appealing.
Yes, it's beautifully written, and I suppose very cleverly written; it simply did not appeal to me. Beautiful prose is one thing, but it needs a good story as well. I considered reading his previous book, but after this one I don't think I will bother.
on 30 July 2015