Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 12 April 2017
It is a while since I read the first book in the trilogy of which this is the second. I remember being struck by the vivid imagery and other worldliness of "Onyx and Crake". This sadly fails in comparison. There are flourishes of that colour and imagination mainly in the later stages of the story where it begins to dovetail with its predecessor. Perhaps this is an inevitable consequence of where this fits in the timeline of the trilogy with its need to fill in some of the background to the "Waterless Flood". Also the urban setting doesn't aid the lyricism that the author does so well. I did enjoy the stories of the main female characters and the contrast between them was handled well. However I became increasingly frustrated by the interruptions of the "sermons" from Adam One which seemed like a clumsy device to fill in some of the background detail. And as for the "Hymns" they just annoyed me and after a few times to be honest I skipped over them.
I do have the final story of the trilogy downloaded but I'm going to leave it a while before I return to this world.
on 10 October 2013
I have reread this directly after reading Oryx and Crake and this has confirmed my view that while it has all the classic Atwood qualities, it lacks the originality and taut narrative structure of O & C. Adam's homilies and the hymns do drag at times, though you can see how cleverly Atwood uses them to reinforce her message. One problem is the number of coincidences needed to hold the plot together, another the rather drippy character of Ren - it's a relief when the voice shifts back to the wonderfully feisty Toby. The depiction of male violence is unsettling but Atwood is making the point that the brutality of the painballers and customers at Scales & Tails is just that of the Corps writ small. Reading the business pages of the papers tends to back her up on that one.
on 23 August 2017
Oryx and Crake is one of my favourite novels. The writing is beautiful and evocative. Unfortunately, this novel doesn't hold the same charm. Nor does it present a world quote as dystopically fascinating as Oryx and Crake did. Too much time is spent spewing the virtues and morals of 'The Gardeners' and not enough time is spent describing the wider world and society that I so would have loved to hear about.
Having said all of that, I still read it all because I was desperate to reach the point where Snowman is reintroduced and so something must have worked for me within its pages...
on 26 July 2017
I love the way the stories are delivered in this series and how the characters from each book are linked together.
I found the sermons at the beginning of each chapter slightly boring but enjoyed seeing characters change and develop. I'm looking forward to reading the last book in the series!
on 5 August 2017
At the beginning of this book I wanted to give up and find something more accessible. However I had changed my mind by a third of the way through and by half way I was totally hooked.
on 2 July 2017
This is the second book of the MaddAddam trilogy, and it's as good - and scary - as the first. Margaret Atwood really has a knock for the dystopian, she creates them believable and plausible. And her characters show a thorough understanding of human nature. Excellent.
on 12 May 2017
A great follow-up to Oryx and Crake - loved it.
on 23 March 2017
Sad terrible tragic and filled with hope and love. The most interesting and enjoyable as well as disturbing book I have read in a long time.
on 20 July 2017
As always, a thoroughly good read....impossible to put down. If only there was a tv series made, I'm sure it would be excellent. Now to start reading Margaret Atwood's Handmaids Tale.
on 23 July 2017
I am sorry but I just could not get into this story try as I might but someone else is thoroughly enjoying it.