on 5 June 2014
I am reviewing the teen fantasy Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire by JK Rowling which is one of the best children's novels I have ever read which I bought from a car boot sale. At the time this book was published the fact it was around 620 pages was controversial as people thought it was far too long for children. At that time I think if JK Rowling had published her laundry list it would have topped the best seller list as she was hugely popular. Another unusual feature was a minor character died near the end which is normally a definite no-no in young adult fiction. JK obviously felt she could play with the rules of the genre and the book was hugely popular, the best book of the series at that point and a real game changer in children's fiction as a whole. This book is of course part of the Harry Potter series about a boy with magic powers going to wizard school at Hogwarts. He is destined to kill the evil Voldemort and in this book Harry has a nightmare about him and we see him cross into our dimension. Harry goes to the Quidditch World Cup with his friends the Weasleys and his adopted parents are only too glad to get rid of him. His natural parents were killed by Voldemort a long time ago. There is a competition where they have to complete several challenges and the winner can drink from the Goblet Of Fire. Strangely Harry is entered into the competition and senses something isn't quite right about that. One of the other competitors is Krum from the Quidditch World Cup and Harry feels out of his depth faced with such competition. This was made into a film starring Daniel Ratchiffe as was the whole series. I think the books in general are better than the films as they tell the story in more detail and JK has a fantastic sense of humor that comes out in her books. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it along time ago as I did with the whole series but wanted to re-read and do a review on it.
on 22 March 2018
Beautifully written. Amazing plot twists and turns. Page-turning element very strong, as usual. Difficult to follow for young children, but ok for children aged 10 plus. I enjoyed this book and I am 78. It's a high standard HP book which is on the way to explaining Snapes character, and seeming cruelty. It is clever.
on 25 October 2014
Bought as a gift. It's a well known book that many others have expressed an opinion about. Only people living under very large, isolated rocks don't know about this. What am I to add to the discussion of it? Very little.

I'm only reviewing it because Amazon requires a review to dismiss items from my items to review list and it's getting cluttered with things that don't really need to be reviewed but there is no other way to dismiss them. I did ask if they could add a feature to remove irrelevant items but they don't seem to want to go down that route. I've just spent hours reviewing items. :(
VINE VOICEon 18 August 2005
Looks like this year Harry has mysteriously mastered stewing potions. This bothers Hermone who sets out to find an answer to his lucky find and has her own theory as to the true nature and name of "The Half-Blood Prince."

Harry also has a few emotions stewing that need a little taming; he seems to be a tad upset over Jenny snogging another student. Things get a tad dicey as it looks like you do not know who to trust as Harry and Dumbledore have a mission.

I think one of the best points in the book is where Dumbledore shows Harry that his fait in the conflict is not because it is written but what he chooses similar to the line from "Julius Creaser" by Shakespeare where Cassius says to Brutus "Men at some time are masters of their fates:
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves..."

This story sometimes has the feel that it is going astray with descriptions; however all things tie together and it is necessary to distract you from the core story so you will forget some details only to be reminded of them later.

This is the sixth book in the proposed series of seven and as with the previous books in the series you will want to purchase the book and the Jim Dale recording. Also if you are collecting do not forget to get an adult version.

Before reading this book it is time to read "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell. Or if you are more visual or auditory there is a film series and a CD version. After this you will swear that J.K. Rowling must have read this also before writing the book. You will see the mandatory stages a hero must go through including going through rights of passage such as caves before obtaining adulthood.

If we just stopped with this book it would make a great TV pilot as Harry go on with an endless quest. However we are promised that all things should wrap-up and many do in this book by the end of the next book.
on 18 August 2017
what can i say... Harry potter books are the best books there are! Especially this one! Would recommend to everyone i know of all ages. A jaw gripping g book to get your kids into reading and to have fun whilst they are doing that. A perfect book to gain literature knowledge self-consciously! Great price great book!
on 4 November 2011
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE is the sixth and, in my opinion, the best book in the HARRY POTTER series. Better in almost every way. There was LOADS more humour in this book, i laughed out loud several times. The new characters were either dark, comic or both! The storyline was funnier, scarier, sadder and just better! The action sequences were epic, i could picture everything in my mind very clearly. I almost didn't need the film to visualize. Shorter than the fifth book, ORDER OF THE PHOENIX, HALF-BLOOD PRINCE is highly recommended. Definately worth reading. Read before watching. BRILLIANT! 10/10!
on 20 August 2017
Purchased as a gift for my 9 year old Grandson. It's JKR and Harry Potter, so for me, 5 stars is a given! I decided to purchase the hard-back for him, hoping it would still look fresh on his book shelf in the years to come. It arrived well packaged and on time and the process was, as ever, hassle-free. I'm delighted. Thanks again Amazon.
on 4 May 2017
Wonderful penultimate book to the Harry Potter series. Had to get the handkerchief out once or twice, especially towards the end. Would never have thought that would happen...but it did! Thoroughly enjoy the HP books.
on 20 July 2005
Another excellent book and Ms Rowling continues to keep me enthralled. The pace was well-balanced, and she had me totally fooled with the identity of the Half-Blood Prince right up to the point of revelation.
The characters get better defined with each book. The initial stumblings into romance are lovely and make an amusing counterpoint to Harry's continuing battle.
When the major character died, I was stunned - it was much more of a shock than the death in the Order of the Phoenix. The end of the book was particularly moving and it will be hard to wait another two years for Ms Rowling to complete the series.
Very highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 15 June 2014
This is definitely my favourite HP. I love the teenage angst and awkwardness and you can really see all the characters grow up in this book, as they prepare to take on Voldemort at the tender age of 16. I am constantly surprised by the incredible bravery and courage shown in these books, and they will always hold a special place in my heart, no matter how old I am.