on 23 October 2012
Really great recipes and some good ideas for stress-free visitors - ie you are stress free, who cares about the visitors : )
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 October 2007
More than just a cookery book, this book is stuffed with all the info you will ever need to entertain brilliantly and effortlessly. I liked the handy tips especially those on seating plans and clearing the table. The recipes are both delicious and imaginative and do exactly what they claim - they unshackle the cook from the kitchen so she (or he!) can have fun with the guests. Makes other cookery books look like hard work. Put this on your Christmas list!
on 28 January 2008
What a fantastic read! It's packed full of informative ideas and thoughts as well as some very 'do-able' recipes. When I discovered it contained the recipe for Persian rice, which explains very clearly how to obtain the scrumptious 'tadiq' (I hope that's how it's spelt) which sticks to the bottom of the pan, I was overjoyed! My Persian friends have tried to explain to me how to achieve this but Joanna's instructions work an absolute treat. This book is not your run of the mill cookery book so buy it and be very pleasantly surprised.
on 22 February 2009
I wish there had been a book like this when I was in my early twenties and newly married. Loads of tips on how best to entertain and some wonderful, different recipes to try out.(By the time you reach your 50s you know most of the rules - but with a book like this you do not have to spend 30 years learning them piecemeal - you can be an expert in no time at all.

Every recipe I have tried has turned out well. Even foods I never thought would go well together turned out to be good talking points over 'supper' with friends.

A great gift for friends at the beginning of their entertaining years.
on 14 September 2007
I bought this book because I liked the cover, but I was still unprepared for how brilliant and useful the content would be. There is a recipe for virtually every occasion (in the last week alone I have tried five, and all worked perfectly). It's written in a friendly tone, and is full of anecdotes about the author's life and relationship with food (passion). I would recommend this book to anyone who doesn't think that the women should retire when the port gets passed around the dinner table!
on 27 November 2007
Joanna's writing makes compulsive reading. Not only is this book full of simple and original recipes which are easy to follow and mouth-wateringly delicious, but her anecdotes and stories, based on her own life and experiences, are beautifully written and make the book a bedside treasure as well as a book for the kitchen. Don't miss it.
on 21 September 2007
I'm a terrible cook and own no cook books - even the sound of people mentioning 'Nigella' and 'Gordon' annoys me, so when someone bought me this, I imagined I'd gift it on. But a quick flick through was enough to change my mind - a few days later it's not only persuaded me to do some good cooking, but it's like meeting a new best friend. Weinberg's voice is exactly the one you want in your head whenever you're thinking about having friends around, and even when you're not. Sincerely recommended.
on 21 May 2008
I love reading recipes but this is the first ever recipe book which I have said down and read cover-to-cover as though it was a novel. I didn't mean to it was just absolutely wonderful. Joanna Weinberg has such a lovely way with words that you not only want to invite all your friends round as an excuse to sample her recipes, but you'd really like it if she could come over too.

She has recipes and advice for ever occasion and (so far) everything I have attempted has come out perfectly. I am a particular fan of the deconstructed cheesecake (delicious and easy) and Manuela's Ginger Chicken (ditto).

The other wonderful thing about her recipes is that they somehow (and I haven't quite figured out how she does it) allow you to be calm and collected when your guests arrive. I am terrible for sweating away in the kitchen while everyone else awaits their meal but with Relish, everything is all ready to go and I have time to throw on some makeup (she even gives tips about such essential preparations).

The only thing I would say is that this is very much a girls' book - which I personally think is a good thing. I think it makes an excellent addition to any girl's cookery book shelf - buy it for yourself, buy it for your Mum and sisters, buy it for your friends. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 12 September 2007
Joanna Weinberg's Relish is an entertaining and yet highly informative book about food and enjoying, rather than panicking about, having friends around for varying occasions. Her recipes provide delicious inspiration but it is her tips on preparing and hosting that will also prove incredibly helpful. A perfect gift, this is a great addition and a rather different contribution to recent food books.
on 21 September 2007
The simple pleasure of food and friends is given a fabulous restatement in this exceptional book. The recipes, photography and visual style as well as the writing create a very rare thing, a cookery book that has the kind of atmosphere a restaurant would die for. The perfect thing to take to a friend next time you stay for the weekend. Much better than a dull bottle of wine or garage blossoms.