Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 July 2007
My son was given this book when he was five, and together we have read it with great relish. It is a hilarious story of sibling bickering, playground swapsies, and emotional family bonds. We still enjoy reading it now that he is seven. The story is magical, and the illustrations are out of this world. If you don't have a kid of your own to buy it for, buy it for someone else's kid, but make sure you read it before you give it to them.
22 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2017
This is just so funny. I love it, the kids love it. 4+ One of those books that an adult enjoys reading aloud because it is so witty. We got it from the library but then bought a copy because we had to have it. I also love (by the same author) Crazy Hair 4+years and The Wolves in the Walls: 7+ years for the latter as it could scare little ones - creepy wolves emerging from inside the walls of the house, though they are vanquished in the end.
on 26 April 2017
I bought this to base some writing on with my year 3 class, they loved it. Very funny book.
on 19 May 2008
This isn't just a kids book! I'm in my late twenties and I love it! The illustrations are utterly fabulous! The story is imaginative and funny! Anyone who loves beautiful, original, eclectic kids books will treasure this!!!
This is another kids book by the winning team of Neil Gaiman and David McKean who did the excellent; The Wolves in the Walls. This is less dark than The Wolves, and has more of a gentle humour which follows a traditional fairy tale pattern, that of the kind of knock on effect. The boy swaps his father for two goldfish, but when forced by his mother to go and get him back, he has to chase about town as other children swap on the dad before the boy gets there.

I love the fact that the mother is cross but only mildly, rather as if the boy had tracked mud on the carpet, and the fact that the father is completely unaware that he is being swapped, being too engrossed in the paper. It's lovely. The boy's bickering relationship with his sister is also beautifully drawn.
on 14 January 2010
This story is about a great old childhood wish...swapping a member of your family for something else, something fantastic! A young boy swaps his Dad for two goldfish but his plan doesn't work as he wanted it to because his Mum comes home and tells him off. The story follows the young boy and his younger sister as they try to find their Dad and swap him back.

We thought the idea for the story was clever. We liked the fact that the Dad was continually swapped for something else. It was funny when he kept being swapped for other things and the young boy had to keep walking to try and find him. We also liked the fact that the Dad didn't even notice.

The illustrations linked in strongly with the story. We liked them because of the colours and different styles of drawing. We thought the backgrounds added to the illustrations at the front, making them more detailed.

Our copy of the book came with a CD, which we found great! This really helps younger children with the story. We would recommend this book to other children who are looking for a different type of book to read.

By Lauren J, Lauren G, Toni, Alex M, Liam, Daniel, Chantelle, Brandon L, Jordan H, Grzegorz, Brandon M, Alex W, Ross & Gillian.
on 26 August 2000
When a young boy (the story doesn't give him a name) decides to swap for a friend's goldfish, he finds that his father is the ultimate bargaining chip--after all, hasn't everyone always wanted to own one? The boy's father is such a hot item, in fact, that the neighborhood kids pass him back and forth, making one deal after another. Eventually, the mother sends the boy and his little sister to recover their father ("The very idea," she says), and they follow the swapping trail, redistributing the trade items as they go.

"The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish" is a brilliantly illustrated adventure map that navigates the relative values and the strange economy of childhood. Neil Gaiman's lively text is written with that special children's logic and fresh humor found in classics like "Winnie-the-Pooh" and "Peter Pan," and the rich texture of Dave McKean's images--vivid line drawings and colorful montages--gives the story a look that is unique in children's literature. This book occupies a special place in my library with a very few picture books, like "Old Turtle" and "Little Hobbin," that I could never part with.
on 3 February 2009
Its beautiful, irreverent,simple and funny. WHat more could you wish? Well, it seems I see the beauty of it more than my children do, but perhaps they're to young yet (2 and 5). Buy it for yourself then, or for someone at ten. And what you can't see here online is the good quality of the paper, which is nice, when you're sitting with the book.
on 15 November 1998
A richly illustrated story about a boy who trades his father for two goldfish, and then has to get him back when his mom finds out. It reads like a child, thinks like a child, and it doesn't have a moral to teach. Just pure reading bliss. I love it!
on 25 May 1999
... because the reader from Nashville a few reviews previously said so well what's best about this book. It's a great read for kids, and it has no moral. Whenever I, as a child, was forced to read one of those idiotic "reading is fun" books written by adults for other adults to buy for children, I questioned the value of the skill of reading. Whenever I read something that was genuinely fun to read, I knew why I suffered through the idiotic things I was assigned to read in school.
The Day I Swapped My Dad For 2 Goldfish is one of those fun books that makes up for any number of stupid moralistic reading assignments, and grownups with a sense of humor will enjoy it as much as children. Neil Gaiman, a fine adult fantasy writer, can be far more childlike than any childrens' writer active today, and that is the greatest compliment I can think of to give him.
Buy this book for your kids. Read it to them aloud. You'll have as much fun as they will.