Customer reviews

The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 April 2016
My daughter 11 years old loved this book, and it has given her an appetite for history
on 9 October 2012
The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza RoseFrom the Prologue to the end as usual books by Mary Hooper grip you from start to finish and you cannot wait to turn the page (even on a kindle). Well written, exciting and with some amazing twists and turns this book is one you cannot put down, unless you need to eat or drink.
on 20 April 2013
Ordered this hoping to use it in Guided Reading as we cover this period of history in Year 5 and thought this would help with empathy. Rather too many references to courtesans using words that would create uproar from parents and Governors so no good for that!! Great read for early secondary pupils though.
on 24 April 2016
Very well written letting you know how it was during that time. Enjoyable read.
on 29 October 2010
Eliza's story is a fictionalised tale told through the third person, which allowed me to also get to know the other characters in the book besides herself. I found her plights and struggles in the unfamiliar and harsh world of Elizabethan London easy to relate to and credible. Her story was quite fast paced and full of twists and turns in Eliza's life that took me by surprise and through all of this, we get to meet a large cast of characters. Some of these characters were real such as Nell Gywn, the famous mistress of King Charles who is known for her charming wit and beauty. I found Nell particularly interesting because of the unstable life that she led and her carefree take on the world, I think she is a character than needs to be explored more in historical books. She also brought some light hearted humour to the book that was a great contrast against some of the darker themes running through the book.
Mary Hooper writes exceptionally well and through her vivid description of Elizabethan London, a sense of being back in that era was created and I love how the darker side of society was also shown so as to be realistic without being too explicit.
The only thing that I was let down by was the ending as although I didn't mind the fact that it was 'fairy tale' like and fairly predictable, I found that I was left wanting to find out how the other characters reacted to the ending so that it felt more complete. Having said that, it leaves brilliant scope for a sequel and I hope that Mary Hooper will eventually write one.

The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose definitely earns its title and transports you back to Elizabethan London through realistic depictions on a journey with a kind and beautiful protagonist who is trying to find her place in the world. This beautiful fairy- tale like story with a hint of sweet romance will definitely take you on an adventure!
VINE VOICEon 23 November 2007
I found this a most enjoyable read, though the style of writing was a little 'clumsy' in places, and somehow not all the sentences seemed to 'flow' like most books I read; sometimes the sentences would go on a little longer after I thought they'd ended, or a comma would suddenly appear when I felt a full stop might be appropriate. However, that aside; I am always puzzled as to why these types of books should fall into a category called the 'young adults' section. This was very readable, and is clearly about scenarios that are adult topics - whether they be young or old, and this is about the third novel I have read in this genre. OK, so it was rather 'tame', but does that necessarily mean that only a 'younger' adult would be interested in it? In fact, I would have thought more likely the reverse - if indeed this is the reason they list them for 'young adults'... I would recommend this novel to anyone who likes historical fiction with a few people who have really existed thrown in for good measure!

on 6 September 2011
I took this book out from the library and couldn't put it down; since then I've been trying to find it to buy.
It's very good, the plot not too obvious, and written a very good pace, with enough detail and descriptions to keep the reader suspended.
I enjoy the narrative, it is honest and researched, with a lovely background, covering a wide variety of areas of life at the time.
I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a historical fiction!
on 4 October 2006
Eliza Rose is great fun. It's less realistic than Mary Hooper's other historical books set in the same era (At the Sign of the Sugared Plum (5*)and Petals in the Ashes (3.5*) - look out for the in joke!) as it has quite a few slightly unbelievable coincidences, but it's a really good romp through the era. We get to meet a whole host of famous characters and really experience the setting of London in the 1670's. Sadly it fails to achieve the full 5* because for me the ending wasn't complete enough. We never get to see the other characters' reactions to the big climatic revelation and the love interest... well I won't give away the ending but just to say I wanted closure. I don't know about you but when I've gone through so much with a character I want to see what happens to her in the end. But apart from that I enjoyed it immensely.
on 5 November 2006
Ok, so you have read Mary Hooper's previous historical novels (At the Sign of the Sugared Plum & Petals in the Ashes) and now you want more. If that is the case, then I can promise you the 'The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose' won't disappoint. Yes, the setting of London in 1670 may well be dirty, smelly and downiright detestable, but at least you get the straight facts and knowledge of what it really was like to be a pretty young maiden in the Stuart era.

Now for the storyline: Eliza Rose from Somerset is sent to Clink Prison in 1670 for stealing a pasty. However, Clink is dirty, unhygienic and there is always the possibility of catching Prison Fever and dying a slow and painful death. Fortunately for Eliza, she is rescued by the most unlikely hero: Old Ma Gwyn. In fact, Old Ma Gwyn was a real person and all the references to her are based on fact. From there, Eliza meets and becomes firm friends with Ma Gwyn's daughter, the famous mistress of Charles II named Nell Gwyn. Now that is the irrrestible storyline, I will leave you to find out the rest...

This book is great not only for enjoyment and satisfaction but for the knowledge that you get from it about the Stuart traditions and ways of life. So read Eliza Rose's story today and (this sounds cheesey but...) don't delay!
on 28 August 2009
London, 1670, Fifteen year old Eliza Rose is thrown into prison for stealing a pasty. She is rescued by a brash scrubby women known as Old Ma Gwyn, but her relief soon turns to horror when she discovers what her new benefactress has in mind for her. Eliza has come to the city to find her father and a place to call home but fate seems to be conspiring against her.

From Orange selller, to ladysmaid and highwaymans moll, she will take on many guises, btu will she find out what she yearns to know- where she truly belongs?

This was a very enjoyable book, with an excellent story line, I would have never guessed what would have happened if I didnt read ahead (bad habit of mine). Mary Hooper is an excelletn author. For once Iam going to talk about the cover: it so pretty! I think it us a bit vague 'coz the girl has brown hair instead of black