Customer reviews

Eleven
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 June 2013
First-rate collection of Patricia Highsmith short stories, quirky, unexpected, always plenty of surprises not to say stings in the tail.
on 15 November 2014
Just what I wanted
on 11 November 2016
Good condition
on 1 November 2003
I first became aware of Ms. Highsmith through her wonderful book, "The Talented Mr. Ripley". Although I am not a big fan of short stories, I decided to take a chance on this book, as I so admired the author's talent. I am delighted that I did so, as this book contains a veritable treasure trove of literary gems.
Her stories range from the macabre to the suspenseful. What makes them particularly chilling is that many of them take place in otherwise mundane everyday settings with people who may be either quite ordinary or slightly bizarre, but to whom something extraordinary happens. These are stories that will capture the imagination of the reader. Some even reminded me a little bit of the stories of H. P. Lovecraft, as some of them contain a strong element of horror, crafted, however, in a most delicate, sublime fashion.
These eleven compelling short stories will keep the reader turning the pages of this marvelous little book. It is a book well worth having in one's personal collection. Bravo!
on 14 September 2003
on 4 October 2010
These eleven short stories are more like eleven failed ideas for stories. Dull, unfinished and ridiculous (ten-foot snails chasing a professor around a desert island! Please.)

Do yourself a favour and buy Deep Water.