on 20 March 2018
Purchased as a gift for someone, who is a massive Harry Potter fan. They really liked it. It’s very well printed and has a high quilty feel to it. Recommended to any Harry Potter fans
on 2 January 2016
Quite amazing how the author mapped out the whole plot with hawcruxes etc from the first novel, knitting it all together like one long story but nicely divided into Potter's different years at school.

With all these DVDs, though, there is quite a bit missing in regards to the books as there is just not enough space in the dvd to cover the whole thing. So, right after you see the dvd, I would highly recommend that you get yourself an Audio-Book, and listen to Stephen Fry telling you the longer story of what happened in The Prisoner of Azkaban. (Fry communicates the different voices excellently.) That way, you have all the images from the dvd and you can run your imagination with all that in place. Like two exciting stories from one.

Harpy New Year!
on 6 February 2018
Imagine the Alice books, the Sherlock Holmes books, the Beatrix Potter books and plenty of others without illustrations; they are actually an integral part of these books. Where else did, for example, Holmes's deer stalker come from? But now it is rare for a book to be published with pictures.
Jim Kay's illustrations are superb and not just a few colour plates but an actual part of the book. I'm glad to say that those of the characters are taken from Mr Kay's imagination and the descriptions in the books and not, as is often the case, straight from the film; for example he shows Dudley Durston's hair to be blond as in the book while he is dark in the film. There's even a drawing of the marauders' map, giving a plan of Hogwart's; doesn't work though!
I wish Jim Kay would work on the Dark Materials series.
on 10 August 2015
Well, I found myself writing a review after reading the second book in the series asking for something other than You Know Who visiting harry for a duel and well it certainty delivered. The book does of course mention You Know Who throughout the entire story but doesn't end in the similar way to book one and two in the series instead takes the reader on a very detailed list of events from the past.

Everything is not as it seems in this book and based on the plot is the best one in the series so far although I personally still enjoy the first book for the entire freshness the most. J.K. Rowling has a brilliant way of writing novels that have all the hints in-front of your face and the plot is still not obvious until you're reading the end of the novel. I found myself at multiple times throughout reading the twisting plot in this book eyes literally widened in anticipation at what was going to happen next and that brings me on to the next point.

This book is a definite page turner, I picked this book up in the early afternoon and haven't put it down since, well, not a constant read of course but several chapters at a time finding myself in night time finishing the read and writing this review. I just simply couldn't put it down, page after page the story unfolded and events unraveled.

The plot is so well written that this book really has a story and a meaning to it personally I felt like the first two books where more of a begging to end novel where by Harry defeated You Know Who time and time again, well if not defeated somehow coming out on alive on the other side after his unfortunate encounters. The ending to this one leaves open questions but reiterates my point above that all is not as it seems at first glance in this novel.

The only negative, sigh, there's always one, was the ending length for me. In comparison to the first two endings they came quickly and with a moderate amount of readable detail for me to understand what was going on all in one go, it may have been how much reading I had done today that made me of this opinion but without spoiling the ending to this novel at one point it goes into great detail about the past, while that is all I can say I feel that this detail was a lightly of a lengthy read and therefore threw my mind of course and wandering as I read page after page of detail attempting to take it all in, in one go. Although on the contrary the novel pulls itself together and takes Harry and Heroine on a very unique and unexpected adventure just before the end of term to round off the plot, a very unique and unexpected ending, very, very well done.

Talking of the end of term and plots this book also drops hints and fits nicely into the next book in the chapter, although the length and amount of reading I've done in this one shall leave me waiting a few days before continuing the adventure. I eagerly await the adventures that Harry, Hermoine and Ron shall be taken on during their fourth year and throughout the holidays.

I would defiantly re-read this book and would encourage anyone who felt, like I did, that despite the second one being a bit the of the same as the first this will defiantly give you a breath of fresh air and inspiration to continue to read the entire series.
on 11 February 2016
Frankly, there is no need to give a review. I expect 95% of today's readers understand and appreciate how popular the legendary Harry Potter is. I am only writing one for this book because it is by far my favourite in the series. Rowling equips the story with the same sense of light humour and typical exciting games of Quidditch (standard!). The exceptional point that really marks this book as turning point is the slow-but-sure revealing of the truth. Harry's idolisation of his father is dented by Snape's remark that not everything is as it seems. However, Harry's adored vision remains firmly emphasised throughout. For me, I no longer saw Snape as purely biased bully of a teacher; his character spurred me on to find out what exactly happened between him and James Potter.

Regrettably, I am amongst those who liked the series too late. Fortunately, the HP rave seems to go on forever so reading it for the second time is just as good as the first.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 July 2017
J.K. Rowling is without doubt one of the best writers I have ever read. It is very difficult to put her series of Potter books down and this one is no exception. Even though I have seen all the films and enjoyed them I have to say that the books are better than the films (and that takes some doing). Even if you have seen the films I would highly recommend that you read the books - all of them.
on 31 March 2018
A beautiful illustration of a fantastic series.

I cannot fault these books, they are slightly expensive but this was a perfect gift for an obsessed Harry Potter daughter.

She has them all so far, and will be collecting these until they are complete. Excellent book.
on 8 October 2017
The 3rd book in the Harry potter illustrated series is just as beautiful as it's predecessors. Perfect for a fan of the wizarding world. Or like for me, a perfect way to share the joys of Harry potter with my children. Fairly large books with lovely illustrations that help you get lost in the magic.
VINE VOICEon 6 October 2017
It's a beautiful book.
I love the art and the story - the knight bus is featured on the front just as I'd hope.
I looked for the shrunken head but it wasn't there and found it wasn't even in the original story!
I love the picture's and the book is lovely and big.
on 21 February 2018
arrived perfect condition and full of beautiful watercolour illustrations, especially nice seeing drawings of things not shown in the films, would have been 5 start except i was a bit dissapointed at the lack of pictures.. it has a page with pictures but then the next 2/3/4 are just writing with a patterned background.. so yeah that wasn’t great, but the pages that do have illustrations are beautiful, just a shame they didn’t add more to make it perfect
review imagereview image