Customer reviews

on 27 May 2013
I found the Faerie Wars to be a fun read from the start. The story begins with Henry Atherton a boy in his early teens who is not having an easy time at home. His younger sister is a spoiled brat who enjoys tormenting him and he has just discovered that his parents’ marriage is falling apart. It is during the school holidays and Henry spends his days working for an old aged pensioner named Mr Fogarty, which is a welcome escape.

Mr Fogarty is known to be strange. He believes in faeries (although he has never seen one), aliens and is big on conspiracy theories. Henry takes it all with a pinch of salt until he discovers a tiny winged creature in Mr Fogarty’s garden that looks very much like a miniature boy of about his age - with wings. Henry soon realises he has come across a faerie and takes him to Mr Fogarty.

The faerie found in the garden is Pyrgus Malvae, Crown Prince of the Faerie Realm. He was transported to the analogue world (our world) to be safe from those who are conspiring to kill him. Unfortunately, the portal he was sent through was sabotaged and he ended up in the wrong place and in miniature form. He convinces Henry and Mr Fogarty to help him to return home because his father the Purple Emperor, ruler of the Faeries of the Light, is in danger. The story moves to the Faerie Realm where we discover Holly Blue, Pyrgus’ sister. She dabbles in magic and has a network of spies that help her know what is going on in the realm and the dangers that fall on her brother Pyrgus and her father. We also learn about the enemy, Lord Hairstreak, ruler of the Faeries of the Night, and the demons who are plotting to bring down the Purple Emperor.

I loved this book. I found Henry’s back story about his dysfunctional family refreshing and entertaining and it was a nice contrast to the fantasy elements. It was both comical and entertaining throughout with strong characters, my favourite being Mr Fogarty who on the surface appears to be a miserable old man, but has some interesting skeletons in his closet and hidden depths. I also liked Blue as she is wiser than her years and a true heroine.

The style of this novel reminded me of a combination of Terry Prachett’s Disc World series and Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials – both huge favourites of mine. Although aimed at children it is by no means patronising and can be enjoyed at any age.
on 25 October 2004
5 Stars!! Herbie Brennan please write a sequel to "The Purple Emperor" or I may put a spell on you. The style, structure, story and humour of "Faerie Wars" was perfectly crafted!! I was up till past 2 A.M. finishing it and proceeded directly to "The Purple Emperor." Stayed up till 3:30 A.M. Of "Faerie Wars" I particularly enjoyed the stories within the story, how they were woven together and the little surprises throughout. Brilliant!
Cheers, (now go write another sequel)
Erika
on 25 January 2006
Enjoyable as any other book in the same genre, I think the plot is quite conventional, the characters nothing more than average, and the whole story falls short of consistency and credibility, even for a fantasy. The adventures grow larger and larger till the end of the book, but it seems like the author had no ideas left for the last part, which i find extremely disappointing and abrupt. Not necessarily a waste of money (it doesn't lack of amusing chapters), but a book which takes the same time to be read and to be forgotten.
on 6 December 2005
This is an amazing book! Lots of people told me so and they were right. I started reading it and just couldn't put it down so I stayed awake all night to finish it! The mixture of reality and fantasy is brilliant and I totally believed in the Faerie Realm. The main characters are really sympathetic and the plot is full of supense, twists and real surprises. Like real life, and the best books, Faerie Wars is funny, surprising, tragic and courageous by turns and it had me enthralled to the last page. I've now read The Purple Emperor too (more wonderful adventures) and I can't wait for number three! Keep writing Herbie!
on 27 June 2013
I was nearly put off by the word 'wars' in the title. (I'm not keen on war books). Then again, the fact that it was a book for children might indicate it would be too tame. In reality I found it a 'stonking' good read about a human boy called Henry who finds a fairy in the garden. It turns out to be a fairy crown prince of similar age as Henry called Pyrgus. He has come to this world through a portal. In fact he is in exile for his own safety as there is intrigue and war brewing in his own world. The story really gathers pace and feels very realistic. There is a lot of violence and a few dark characters and demons, but I know that most kids love that sort of stuff. (Similar to the dark characters in Philip Pullman's Dark Materials). I found it un-putdownable and read it in one weekend. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
on 4 March 2003
This is an astoundingly good read. I felt as if I had been subjected to a spell, as the words held my eyes to the page. The pace is blistering, the characters both lifelife and fantastical and Herbie Brennan manages to mix a beguiling number of themes which will excite both children and grownups. If you enjoyed JK Rowling and Philip Pullman you will love Faery Wars.
on 21 July 2004
This book is quite simply brilliant. It grips you from the very start until the very end. I've frequently got to the end and then went back to the beginning and reread it straight away, its that good. I can't wait for the sequel.
on 18 April 2003
This is fantastic in all senses: it is a fabulous and a true fantasy adventure story. Herbie Brennan has woven an imaginative and creative tale that holds the attention from start to finish. It is the kind of book that you simply can't put down. I loved it and have passed it around my family, with similar reactions from all ages. I can't wait for the sequels.
on 18 September 2004
This book is very exciting and interesting and will get you reading for hours. The plot is ingenious and exciting and the characters fall right into place. The way brennan creates his characters with so much detail and shows everything about so well through the book is incredible.
I cant wait to get the sequel. This book is for all ages.
on 12 September 2004
Riveting from start to finish! Both myself and my daughter thoroughly enjoyed this booked and neither of us could put it down. Suitable from all ages from 10 to 110! Can't wait for the sequel.