on 18 November 2010
This is a fantastic story which has helped me reassure my 3 year old daughter that I'll always love her after very suddenly & tragically losing her Daddy. The story is about a grumpy little fox looking for reassurance from his Mummy that she will always love him no matter how grumpy he is.
I was looking for a reassuring story & this touches on does love wear out or end even when we're gone. To which his Mummy assures him that love is like star light & even when we're not here anymore it still goes on this is very fitting for our situation after telling her that Daddy is a star now.
Definately recommend to anyone in a similar situation as I struggled to find bereavement story's to help me explain what was going on for my 3 year old though be reassured this is not a sad story & is extremely well written. No Matter What
on 26 February 2008
Having already bought this 5-star book for my daughter (who adores it) I bought this one for a friend thinking the board format would be a good idea. But the text is different! The whole part that addresses death in a very simple, clear manner has been replaced by some syrupy watered down text that avoids the subject completely. No mention of this in the introduction - if I buy an abridged version, I want to know about it in advance.
1010 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2005
I never get tired of reading this to my daughter (4yrs old) and she never tires of listening to it. Even my 9yr old loves to hear it.
When you've had one of those days when your child isn't being at their best and you've had to tell them off, this is the perfect story to read at bedtime, letting them know that no matter what, you'll always love them.
The book was given as a gift about 2 years ago and I still say thank you to my cousin for it.
VINE VOICEon 1 March 2005
Glorious illustrations, good rhyming text and a lovely story about the strength of a parent's love for his/her child. Large tells grumpy Small that s/he will always love them regardless, even if they turn into a crocodile or any other unappealing creature (though in Gliori's pictures they still look pretty special). Then Small asks whether love wears out and Large says that love's like the light of the stars - it's a long way away but goes on and on. At 3 my children think it is funny that a mother would love a bear or a bug - at four the eldest is understanding the message. This is cleverer than Guess how much I love you and equally appealing.
on 12 September 2009
My daughter had the board book copy of this in her book collection for years & always enjoyed it. When I was diagnosed with terminal cancer I was surprised to find this book in among the suggested titles for helping children come to terms with loss. It was then I discovered the hard back/paper page edition. I have 'lost' the board book & put this new copy away for when the time comes because it beautifully describes how love goes on forever - like the stars - even after we are dead. That is how I want my girls to think of me when I'm gone - with them & loving them forever.
on 11 October 2015
We love this book. This is the original version with the original ending "what about when we're dead and gone, will you love me then, does love go on" rather than the new version about when we're asleep or far away. It took forever to arrive but I specifically wanted the original version so was happy to wait for it. We read this before bed every night along with Guess How Much. I love that the message is that it doesn't matter if you are grumpy and throwing a tantrum or if you turn into a bug or if you are far away, your grown up will always love you no matter what. I also love that the grown up isn't called Mummy or Daddy so is good for all families whatever the set up.its become a tradition with both my little monkeys and one I intend to continue for a long time.
on 16 December 2001
The slightly grumpy "small" in this story wants his/her mum to confirm that yes, his/her mum really loves him/her. S/he suggests a series of ever more imaginative scenarios to test the mum and the mum rises to the challenge each time. It's beautifully illustrated and my daughter (the middle one) just loves hearing it again and again, especially when she's worrying about sibling rivalry and her place in our affections. One of the few I really love reading to her again and again.
on 29 October 2009
I had to track this book down after reading the line 'Love like starlight never dies'in a favourite quote display in my primary school. The book is wonderful and the message that love is unconditional 'no matter what'. I sobbed through it when i first read it (alone)and then again the first few times i read it to my own children and i still can't read it to a class of children yet without getting choked. One of those books you need to have about and makes you appreciate your children even when they drive you mad!! Well recommended, but be prepared for the subject of death and dying to be raised.
on 30 September 2012
I bought this for my son in 2002 and it's been a much loved and wonderful book. I bought what I thought was the very same book (in board book form) for a friend's child last week and to my absolute horror they had changed the text considerably. It's become a dulled-down version of the original, taking out all the anarchic action and fun which would appeal to a child and replacing it with what I consider to be dull and predictable schmaltz. How wonderful is: 'Small was feeling grim and DARK'. How unnecessary to replace 'dark' with 'grumpy'. The rhyme has been broken, the wonder of the ending reduced to dull and predictable schmaltz. Deb Gliori, did you sanction this? I don't want to believe it!!!
on 10 December 2014
Disappointingly not the original version.The very message that I wanted to convey to my Grand Daughter has been taken out and smoothed over in a completely banal way. This book had an opportunity to help a little girl understand that even when someone dies, they are still right here, in their hearts and minds, instead we get a platitude that does nothing for the original sentiment. I wonder if Ms Gliori approves, there is no doubt that the book is a stunning piece of artwork and the original story is fantastic, it would have been more honest if the difference was mentioned BEFORE it was bought.