on 27 June 2017
I'm a Ravenclaw, but I ordered all four house editions as a symbol of house unity. Also because they're pretty :). This Slytherin edition is very nicely presented, and contains some extra tidbits about Slytherin that are well worth reading. My only complaint is that most of the information in the section for "Famous Slytherin Alumni" and "Memorable Slytherin Students" sections is a re-hash of character info that's easily gleaned from reading the books themselves. Also, couldn't Slughorn have been included? He's a much more layered character than either Riddle or Bellatrix.

That being said, there are plenty of positives:
The House Ghost illustrations on the back covers of all four versions are a really nice touch,
I love that each house version has the house colours visible on the fore edge when the book is closed, and also that each uses a different pattern. It would have been easy for the publishers to just use stripes in the house colours with the same spacing for each. The different spacing on each house version makes it look classier and more interesting as a set.

My book did come with two annoying "20 years" stickers on the dust jacket, but I was able to remove them without too much difficulty. Some very delicately applied white spirit took care of the residue (plus a careful sponging to get rid of the white spirit itself). I fervently wish for an end to this fad of putting crappy stickers on beautiful things!

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase.

(My four-star review applies to this specific edition btw. The novel itself gets five stars).
on 18 March 2017
I like it better than the film. There is more to it. I have found while reading all the Harry Potter books to my son while at the same time going through the movies that they really took liberties with the screen adaptation. I would recommend reading the book even if you weren't blown away by the movie.
on 10 July 2017
I bought the paperback set of Harry Potter for my daughter's 12th birthday and I couldn't be happier with it. The parcel arrived on the exact day and was well packaged. I was slightly worried when I read some bad reviews - so I was thrilled when they arrived and they were PERFECT. The print is good, the outer covers are exactly as advertised (actually they look even nicer in real life - because the titles are printed in gold lettering and have stars which sparkle when the light hits them right!). My daughter who is 12 was so happy and has proudly displayed them on her bookshelf. I can also confirm that they are the Bloomsbury uk version - for example The Philosopher's Stone NOT the Sorcerer's Stone. Last but not least this paperback set is fantastic value and I would recommend it to anyone.
on 13 January 2014
After years of living with his maternal Aunt, Uncle and cousin after the death of his parents Harry Potter receives a letter in the mail informing him that he has a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His Aunt and Uncle try everything they can to stop him going, for their own reasons. Harry was expecting a bit of wand waving and a few magic words.. what he wasn't expecting was to gain two best friends and have a rollercoaster of an adventure that would leave him face to face with the man who wants him dead.

This isn't the first time I've read Harry Potter. It's one of those books that fails to get old and you can read over and over again. It's not the best written book out there but it's more the way it's written that intrigues so many. The magic behind the magic.

The characters in this book are funny, courageous, fiercely loyal and very endearing. It's hard not to love them. My favourite is Professor Snape with his villainous charm but I think deep down he's a softy.

It's hard to believe that a book aimed at the younger audience would be able to capture and charm an adult while still being able to intrigue a child/adolescent but this book manages to do that. The story grips you almost from the very start and leaves you guessing. I still can't be able to figure out who's behind it all.
on 14 July 2016
Bought these for my friend as his old HP books were falling to pieces, and he absolutely loves these.

The artwork is really lovely, and would make great prints for your wall I think. You have art on the back, front and spine of the book which is great. The 'Harry Potter' and title are done in shiny gold and really pops.

Slipcase has an image of Hogwarts looking out across the lake, which is pretty.

I'm very pleased and the item as a whole is excellent. Makes a great gift!
on 26 July 2017
I liked the previous books better for a simple reason: there was no overabundance of unnecessary adverbs such as "warningly", "gloomily", etc. They appear in just about every other paragraph. I came to expect better from Rowling, not this novice tripe. However, the story was as exciting and immersed as usual, so bearing the pain of ill executed adverbs, I am now moving onto the next book. Hopefully, it will avoid the gloomily overabundance of adverbs that appear longingly in this volume. See how ridiculous they are when used with little thought or contemplation? My point exactly.
on 17 September 2016
Arrived a day before we expected so that was excellent service to start with; I went for the kids' version of this boxset after traversing the reviews here and seeing most people thought the art of this edition was more compelling than any others. They were right! The books are all gorgeously printed and decorated, and the box itself has Hogwarts scenery on it, which is lovely to look at when it's turned around. Was packaged well so there's no damage that I can see; everything's in perfect condition. Thank you, seller!
review image review image
on 29 January 2017
I bought these books after I watched the films so I did know sometimes what was going to happen next. Unlike the films, the books tell you a bit more about the spells and the overall storyline is slightly different in a good way. The books themselves are quite addictive to read once you get into one of them and it can be hard to put them down. I think they are well worth the money they cost because of their adventurous story and exciting tense parts.
on 31 March 2016
I bought this book for my son to read for world book day as he loved all the films and hes getting a lot better with his reading now (hes nearly 7). This book is really nice it is a good size for my son to carry around with him and been paperback its not too heavy for him and the text is a nice readable size for him. I think the price for this book is excellent and I would have expected it to cost more than it did. I am sure I will be back to purchase the next book in the series for him once hes completed reading this once. would recommend to others.
on 14 August 2016
This collection is completely stunning. I have seen SO MANY different collections of Harry Potter over the years and this has got to be my favourite. I purchased it for my mum as she had never read Harry Potter but really wanted to - she's been enjoying them since. This would make a great present for any Harry Potter lover or for someone new to the series. Gorgeous. And of course the books themselves are fantastic, but you probably knew that already.