on 18 March 2017
I like it better than the film. There is more to it. I have found while reading all the Harry Potter books to my son while at the same time going through the movies that they really took liberties with the screen adaptation. I would recommend reading the book even if you weren't blown away by the movie.
on 19 August 2017
5 stars for the HP stories (obviously), but 3 stars for this specific Bloomsbury hardcover box set, for the following reasons:

CONS: The box size is the main reason for the 3 stars - and I've seen other reviewers complain about this too. It is simply too small to fit all 7 books and their dust jackets. When I first opened the new set, I had such a hard time getting the books out of the box because it was such a tight fit. I was afraid the box would break (as it happened to another reviewer). Now that the books have been read and naturally stretched out a bit, I have not been able to put them properly back in the box. I had to remove all the dust jackets and still it's an incredibly tight squeeze. I'm sure that after a few more times of taking them in and out, the box will break. As it is, the hardcovers are already wearing due to trying to pull them out and push them back in.

- Speaking of the hardcovers, there is something wrong with their binding (maybe the glue or material): every time I open one of the books, the spine and general cover area makes cracking sounds as if they are breaking away from something. It's a unnerving (for a book lover).

- Lastly, there were some odd printing issues in a few of the 7 books. For example, in one book, there were some lines without a single space between words (see the second-last line of the attached image). This is obviously a publishing error...

PROS: The dust jackets, colors, box design, etc. are all exquisitely beautiful. It's a pity that I have to worry about the durability.
review image
on 7 October 2017
Absolutely delighted with this. I think the illustrations are better than book 2, which was overrun with spiders! I am reviewing this edition rather than the actual story. Book is heavy and I presume later books will be more so!

I read that some are disappointed the illustrations aren't like the films. The books came first! And the films left so much out AND changed things. The illustrations in this book are, I am thrilled to say, Jim Kay's imagining of the BOOK according to JK Rowlings excellent detailed descriptions.
on 11 March 2017
Read the books through four times now, once when a wee nipper, once when in high school, the third when an adult just before last films got released. Now I have the collection on my kindle, the fourth time. Enough has been said about the books a thousand times over, no point me saying it all again here! Stupendous however, what a world created to lose yourself in! I don't think I shall read the books again but I believe that "All is well"
on 11 June 2017
Fantastic anniversary special edition. I love that the book has been released in four versions for each of the four houses and that they are also in house colours. The extra information at the front with information about the founders of each house and other information. I love it! Bought all four versions!
Jim Kay is the best thing to happen to the Harry Potter Series since J.K Rowling herself put pen to paper and introduced us,to Harrys magical world I will tell you why I have the 1st and now the 2nd and preordered the 3rd in his illustrated series its because even if you have, the original book series you will fall in love with Jim Kays take on Harrys World I felt like I was seeing Harrys World, for the first time you can see the brush strokes in the faces of the people he draws and the books are wonderful quality, thick,textured pages and nice large font which makes this series of books accessible to all 8-80 year olds and will engage young people in a world millions of people have already, fallen in love with this in my opinion is partly down to Rowlings wonderful imagery and writing and partly down to Kays imaginitive and fresh take on Characters we all know and love my favourite is harry playing quidditch, look I could go on forever but im going to end on this it is a bargain at £15.00 you will not be disappointed by this kaleidoscope of colour,wonder and Magic
on 26 June 2017
I'm not going to review the novel itself here, suffice to say I love it. This review is specifically for the edition I purchased: the U.S. Deluxe Edition hardcover published by Arthur A. Levine Books (ISBN-13: 978-0545029377).

{One SPOILER ahead, on the off-chance you haven't read the book but are planning to}

As a general rule, I much prefer the original British covers of the Harry Potter books, but Deathly Hallows has always been the only book of the seven where I prefer the original U.S. cover illustration, so I finally decided to order this as an extra for my collection. I was expecting to be pleased, but I wasn't expecting to be quite as delighted as I am with this edition; it's absolutely blinking gorgeous. The front and back illustrations (on the outer cardboard sleeve) are lovely, but just as good if not better is the illustration on the dust jacket, which if opened out fully, is a panorama of Harry, Ron and Hermione riding the dragon over the lakes and mountains after their escape from Gringotts. It's also nicely planned out so that Harry appears on the visible bit on the spine when the book is in its sleeve.

This edition also has a section at the end with full-page versions (black and white) of the small illustrations which head up each chapter in this version, and the majority of them are pretty much bang-on in my opinion. Mary GrandPre has outdone herself with this book.

This is just an absolutely lovely version of Deathly Hallows, really well-presented, with beautiful, imaginative illustrations. I couldn't be happier that I finally went ahead and ordered it.
on 13 December 2017
This was a repurchase for me as my original Harry Potter book is battered from years of reading. I've reread this book since and of course, I loved it. The beginning can be a little slow for younger readers as a lot of it is not in the movies, but the remaining 85% is and can be completely imagined throughout. I like the fact most of the original dialogue was translated into movies which is something I've noticed since rereading as an adult. Lovely start to the fabulous series and I am buying the full set to have a newer looking set on my shelf!
The artwork on the cover is so much better than the original book which is red. There are illustrations around the chapter headings too which adds a special something. The paper in this book is a lot firmer and of better quality. It's bigger in length than my original one by about 100 pages but that's probably just a printing difference. There isn't anything additional. I think there was a map in the front of mine but I 'm unsure.

Fab read of course.
on 4 February 2017
It is inconceivable that anyone is not familiar with J K Rowling's Harry Potter books - the short description is that they are magical for both children and adults. There are many different Harry Potter box sets on the market - this review relates to the children's hardcover version of the seven books, published by Bloomsbury (United Kingdom) in 2014 with ISBN 9781408856789. The fact it is called the "children's version" is slightly inaccurate - it simply means it is a "different" design from the "adult" version. To say one box set is for adults and another for children is not correct.

The outer box is a bright red colour with an eye-catching gold dragon design all over. Entry to the seven books is gained by opening a double flap kept secured at the front of the box by a magnet. Although the box is made of a reinforced cardboard, it appears very durable and should not break or be damaged easily.

The books themselves have differently coloured and designed covers, with a gold "Harry Potter" logo on the front of each. The books are 20.5cm in height and 13.5 cm in width and are very strongly bound - even if they are read regularly they should stand the test of time. They are made with relatively light paper and are particularly comfortable to hold when reading - even the larger volumes.

The only reason to consider other alternatives is if you prefer larger text. The United States hardcover box set has larger books, measuring 23.5 cm in height and 16.5 cm in width. However, the American version is significantly heavier to hold, and volumes four, five and seven of the series are particularly heavy, especially for children.

Overall, the United Kingdom hardcover box set looks visually appealing and is very well made. It is very practical and user-friendly due to the relative light weight of the books. Anyone who owns this magical item will enjoy it for many, many years to come.
on 13 January 2014
After years of living with his maternal Aunt, Uncle and cousin after the death of his parents Harry Potter receives a letter in the mail informing him that he has a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His Aunt and Uncle try everything they can to stop him going, for their own reasons. Harry was expecting a bit of wand waving and a few magic words.. what he wasn't expecting was to gain two best friends and have a rollercoaster of an adventure that would leave him face to face with the man who wants him dead.

This isn't the first time I've read Harry Potter. It's one of those books that fails to get old and you can read over and over again. It's not the best written book out there but it's more the way it's written that intrigues so many. The magic behind the magic.

The characters in this book are funny, courageous, fiercely loyal and very endearing. It's hard not to love them. My favourite is Professor Snape with his villainous charm but I think deep down he's a softy.

It's hard to believe that a book aimed at the younger audience would be able to capture and charm an adult while still being able to intrigue a child/adolescent but this book manages to do that. The story grips you almost from the very start and leaves you guessing. I still can't be able to figure out who's behind it all.