Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2014
I had heard a lot about this book and downloaded it on my kindle. Its been a while and I am unable to go past the first couple of pages, I found it quite dull and unengaging. Clearly other people like it, seeing that it was such a success. I for one, will not be speaking of remarkable things.
on 12 September 2014
A wonderful novel and unbelievably a first novel.
on 9 March 2005
I looked forward to reading this book from what the cover told me and wasn't disappointed. Meanders along at a slow but steady pace but keeps you involved throughout. Not a great deal happens but you still care what happens. The kind of book that I would want to write if I had thought of it first!
on 27 January 2012
.....you wouldn't be reading these reviews! Easily - this would be my desert island book selection. Sweet language, exquisite detail, impressionist masterpiece. Enjoy then go speak of remarkable things......
on 20 May 2003
What I like about this book is the way it slows life down for me. After reading it I found that if I just looked around me, and listened there was so much more going on. We never really take time to notice what goes on right under our noses but this book reminded me to stop and look.
on 15 February 2016
Goods as described. Quick delivery. Thank you.
on 9 August 2015
I love this book - it is beautifully written!
on 6 December 2006
This is a bad novel. It is poetic after a fashion, but the poetry is both bad and boring. The novel has no real plot and no character development and the ending is nonsensical. The author pretentiously never names any of his contrived cardboard characters which is highly artificial and annoying. Real characters that one can imagine walking about in a real world have names. These don't breathe and seem like cyphers constructed in an attempt to build, presumably, a collage of modern life in all of its richness and diversity. It fails miserably.
on 15 March 2015
Amazing book, definitely worth reading.
on 20 November 2012
Double quotation marks have always annoyed me, single less so, but nothing beats prose that omits quotation marks altogether. Without the stifling effect of quotation marks, dialogue seems freer, more naturalistic and poetic. So, I usually have high hopes for novels without quotation marks, and this one did not disappoint. Humane, touching and poetic. The key scene at the end was so vividly written it had me blubbing over my coffee in public....so maybe best to read the last few pages at home