Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 17 October 2004
Now You See Me is a beautifully written novel which keeps you absolutely captivated from the first page to the last. The plot is exciting and heartbreaking, with an ending that will leave you shocked but not completely crushed, as there is a spark of hope for the future. The characters are not stereotypical `lovable' people but are victims of circumstance and of their own destructive tendencies and this makes for a fascinating and gripping story.
The two main characters, Lamb and Doggo, are both hiding from things in their pasts and when their secrets are finally revealed you cannot help but feel desperately sorry for them. I read a review of this book which says that it is impossible to read it without completely immersing yourself in Lamb's world and seeing everything through her eyes and I totally agree with this. By the end of the novel I felt I knew her inside out.
The writing style of Lesley Glaister can only be admired and applauded. It has a lovely poetic quality to it that effortlessly keeps you turning pages. She can make anything seem possible (even spontaneous combustion!) and has a knack for making characters come alive no matter how bizarre they are.
Overall Now You See Me was a fantastic psychological thriller which was different from anything that I had read before in terms of style, plot and characters. I would recommend this to anyone who likes being kept in suspense by a really, really good writer. I am sure that readers who like books by Ruth Rendell / Barbara Vine will especially love this book.
JoAnne
on 15 May 2002
I loved this. Lamb is such an outsider, so careful and scared - but so brave and funny. And she lies all the time. And Doggo - yes, he has dogs! - is part-scary, part-genuine. Reading this story of their slow redemption and their crimes, you pray it's going to turn out right for them. That's how good this book is - you want them to be happy, and see why they may well not be. Lamb is in my head still - thank you Ms. Glaister!
on 8 March 2003
Lamb and Doggo, for different reasons, find themselves adrift from their families and from society. The book tells the story of their developing relationship as they explore each other's histories and their own ability to trust another human being. The two characters are very sympathetic and the book makes you both laugh and cry. This is the first book by Lesley Glaister that I have read and I will certainly look for others now.
on 25 June 2001
Lamb is a solitary soul, and she likes it that way. Having escaped from a psychiatric ward she becomes a cleaner, living in secret in the cellar of one of her more decrepit clients. Doggo is on the run from the law, and happens to be the son of another of Lamb's clients. 'Now you see me' concerns the slow road to letting go and loving between the two. The 'courtship' between the odd couple is described with much tenderness but also without the saccharine sweet sentimentality that ruins so many books nowadays. Glaister has the knack of keeping you wide awake when you read, treading the fine and beautiful line between letting us laugh at the characters and letting us remember the absurdity of our own humanity. For me, this is the best lesson a book can offer you: not to take ourselves, our lives or the lives of the characters too seriously. And then as the tragedy of Doggo's and Lamb's lives unfold the empathy we have built up makes the book utterly heartwrenching. I was weeping rather embarrassingly on the tube train at one point, which is not normal for me. To summarise: buy it, read it, remember your own silliness and be swept along the turbulent, enjoyable rapids of Glaister's imagination.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 February 2013
This is a very enjoyable, though often dark, novel which keeps you turning pages into the night. The story focuses around a young woman, known as Lamb, who lives pretty much on the margins of society, and her meeting and relationship with Doggo, a young man with something to hide. All of the main characters in this story have their secrets, and all of then are coping with horrific events, sometimes as a result of their own actions, in their past.

This is a story about the terrible things ordinary people can do when circumstances get out of their control, about the lies people tell to themselves and others, and about how, in the end, we are all human, and we are all coping with our own histories in our own way.

It is also great reading and will keep you thinking long after you have turned the last page
on 12 July 2013
Recommended by friends in Orkney I wonder how I missed this author, and will definitely seek out more.
Instantly gripping from the strength and mystery of Lamb's character and drawn into hoping that things aren't going to turn out as I fear, which they both do and don't. Lovely language, immensely convincing depth of character and description of place. So often books are described as 'heart-breaking' - this one really was.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 May 2012
Billed as a love story, Now You See Me is no sickly romance tale. The main characters of Lamb and Doggo are flawed, vulnerable and hiding secrets from one another. Their pasts are complex and filled with sadness that effects who they are now. Glaister writes such real stories with great depth to her characters making them come alive.

I've read a few of Glaister's books now and have thoroughly enjoyed each of them. She writes wonderful psychological thrillers that have a unusual mysterious quality to them. Lamb and Doggo will stay with me for some time. Superb writing, read any of Lesley Glaister's books, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 April 2010
This is a heart-breaking, sometimes disturbing but totally engaging, love story between two damaged outsiders: Lamb, who ran out on her life at 16 and now lives alone in the cellar of the elderly man for whom she does some cleaning and Doggo, a young man on the run. Both have dark secrets and both have, shall we say, trust issues. Yet although both seek to protect themselves from the hurt of the past, what emerges is a touching relationship. There's humour and genuine warmth, without the sickly sweet stuff of chick lit - which this most definitely isn't.

Where Glaister scores over other writers is that she writes beautifully and achieves atmosphere but at the same time her books are paced like the best thrillers. It's impossible to read this passively - you will be gripped into the story. Be prepared for an emotional roller-coaster and not to be able to put this book down. You will laugh and you may well cry.
on 5 October 2001
Not sure that this is the 'love story' it's been billed as, but it's a good page-turner and, on the whole, I enjoyed it. Lamb's a great character and the author really makes you sympathise with her. Some of the other characters are less believable and less likeable - especially 'Sarah'. One criticism - at times I felt as though I was reading a novel for teenagers. The author doesn't quite go far enough for me and all the ends are too neatly tied up, all the way through. I won't write anymore as I don't want to spoil the story for anyone who hasn't read it yet!
on 10 March 2014
I started this book with an open mind on an author new to me. In a few pages I was engrossed, and loved every bit of it.
Her characters ring so real, and like Greigs Electric Brae I was left wishing this and the cast were real! A great read written by a master in creating pace and atmosphere economically, a true craftsman of short sentence use.
Went on to read three more of her books, an all deserve top ratings.