on 17 July 2017
Polecam
on 23 April 2017
This was a funny book that I enjoyed a lot. I thought Gary was cool although his classmates didn't. I think he was very brave to do stand up and very self - controlled not to tell jokes for so long. I really liked that the story was about someobe whowasn't the top or the best.
on 20 August 2017
Dogs don't tell jokes was the first Louis Sacher book i read and it made me read more like The boy who lost his face or Pig city. I would recommend it to ages 9-12. The characters were well thought of good names not average names like Bob or Dave. I like the ending 10 chapters the best when he is doing the performance and when the the contests at the talent show. Over all i would rate it 5-5. #THANKYOULOUISSACHER
on 17 October 2003
Dogs don't Tell Jokes is a very funny book that got me in fits with the jokes. I found them funny even though they are supposed to be very boring in the book.I thought it was very catching the way Louis Sachar added a few catches in the book. I loved the way he made it sound as if nobody thought he was funny. I don't recommend small children to read it because there are a few bits that are not suitable for undre 10's. Above the age of 10 would understand and enjoy the book alot more, and overall, i liked the book alot. It was completely different to Holes and The Boy Who Lost His Face!
on 5 May 2003
I picked up a copy of Dogs Don't Tell Jokes in my local bookshop and sat on the floor reading it. I started laughing at the jokes and got a few odd glances from other customers. Months later, I bought the book. I still giggle out loud at some of the quips.
Gary W. Boone ("My friends call me Goon") is an aspiring stand up comedian, but everyone is fed up with his never-ending stream of jokes, most of which aren't very funny. Everyone, that is, except his best friend, Angeline Persopolis, his old teacher Miss Turbone (Mr. Bone) and their hat-wearing croquet-playing friends. When the school holds a talent contest, Gary is determined to win...but will fate be against him?
I won't give away any more of the plot, but this is a really good, humorous and realistic book, especially in the parts where Gary tries hard to fit in with the other kids. Anybody who's been a class misfit(like me) will understand how hard it is. Then there's the jokes...and that brilliant surprise ending...
anyone who fell in love with Louis Sachar's style in Holes will love this, but I reccomend it to anyone who can read.
And why did the guy eat a dead skunk for breakfast?
You'll have to read it to find out....
on 10 May 1999
Dogs Don't Tell Jokes is a good book. It is about a kid named Gary W. Boone he is not popular at all. Then he joins the talent show, because he thinks he will get more popular if he wins. I'm not going to tell you if he wins. It's for you to find out. If you want a funny book, get Dogs Don't Tell Jokes. Efrem - 5th grade
on 26 July 2015
Boring.
on 28 April 1998
Gary Boone is a boy in middle school. He is kind of odd. He always makes jokes. That's all he ever does - make jokes. He thinks his jokes are hilarious, but no one else does. A school talent show comes up, and he decides to sign up as a comedian. So he does, and is ridiculed by his calssmates. Will he ever be accepted? This is a classic tale of a lost boy confused at what life is about. This is a great and funny book for children ages 7 to 11.
on 31 October 2013
Not as good as Holes - but what could be? You don't find out why the book has it's title until quite near the end of the book, and I won't spoil the surprise, but Gary W Boone or Goon as he is known, is a joker. He tells and makes up jokes all the time and has no friends. He's thrilled when there is going to be a school talent contest and worried when he is the first and only entry, but then his parents suggest they will pay him $100 to stop telling jokes. He withdraws from the contest, tries out new activities and begins to make friends until an "epiphany" moment makes him change his mind again and he re-enters the competion. A book about outsiders, being different, standing up for what one likes, is good at and believes in, despite the odds. Sometimes a little American so there are some jokes and comments that don't lways mean anything, but that's to be expected from an American writer.
on 9 June 1998
Gary Boone is a boy in middle school that makes a joke out of everything. After a while, though, you want to tell him to get serious for a change. I thought the story was humorous, but not as good as some of Sachar's other books. I wasn't disappointed by it, but felt it was a little overdone.