on 8 November 2014
I love books and since my daughter was born, 5 years ago, I have been buying lots of children books for her. The current best sellers have nice pictures but the stories are some how disappointing. Words don't rhyme, boring story line and worse of all there is always the PC mentality in the background. Then one day, at a church, we've come across this book, we read it together and I just loved it! I didn't know Oscar Wilde had written for children and I was amazed by the sweetness of his words and how nicely he develops the giant's saga.
As some one else said I will never forget this book and want my daughter to remember it as well, forever.
on 29 November 2015
I loved the story as a child and wanted a copy for my sons. I'm disappointed though as the moral seems lost with the shortened version.
on 19 April 2002
It took me a long time to remember the title of this book. I can remember reading it a long, long time ago when I was about 5 or 6 and loving it. The story has never left my mind and never will. At the time I had no idea who Oscar Wilde was but I think that it is to his credit that he wrote such an imaginative moral tale so beautifully for children. It was also one of the saddest, yet most life-affirming and honest endings I had ever read. In a way, it was books like these that got me interested in writing; knowing that there were other, more apt ways to finish other than the generic happy ending was especially eye-opening.
An all-round great.
VINE VOICEon 30 November 2007
As a child, I was enchanted by this wonderful book. Now I have my own children, I am happy to be able to read it to them and they also love it. A selfish giant won't let any children play in his garden, until he meets a very special little boy.

Ultimately this is a Christian tale of love, forgiveness and redemption. It is very moving and the illustrations in this edition are beautiful. This is a story that will live on in your mind long after you have turned the last page.
on 28 May 2009
This is a rather odd book and I would not recommend it. I had been recommended to read it by a friend but I didn't like the tone or the moral message in the end.
on 15 November 2002
This is my favourite short story and has been since I was eight. It still has the power to move me to tears. Almost all Oscar Wilde's fairy stories have a sad, poignant quality to them and this is one of the best. I never tire of reading it.
This beautifully illustrated version brings this wonderful story to children of today. I can't recommend it highly enough. Make sure you have the tissues handy, though!
on 30 March 2014
far too religious to be a classic but never the less
a truly legendary children's story
that doesn't shy away from harsh realities and morality
on 27 November 2013
It may seem wrong that the original story has been changed, but the original story is the original story, and this abridged version has a different job to do, and it does it well for our current culture. The spirit of the original is still in there.

Alexis Deacon's work is atmospheric and intriguing, sensitive, beautiful and a bit weird - definitely dream-like and so perfect for this story. The quality of the book itself is great, it's a really nice thing to have; and the contents are so interesting. A timeless, mysterious quality and the expressions of characters in situations supports the compassionate feel of the story.

It's a memorable thing of beauty, sincerity and quality throughout, even if it's missing bits, and it isn't really.
on 27 February 2002
This tape has quickly become a favourite with my nieces and nephews. The music is enchanting and the kids love dancing to the rag-time storm scene. The lush cover illustration also makes it an appealing gift. I truly hope this group of artists will continue producing more stories of this calibre. What a wonderful way to teach children to appreciate the classics!
on 18 April 2017
A marvellous story and just right for Easter. We like these illustrations which is why we hunted for the Michael Foreman and Freire Wright version of this Oscar Wilde classic.