Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 June 2005
This is a excellent book, its funny and teaches a really good lesson to children, great pictures too, both my kids (3 and 2 ) love it.
on 29 July 1999
This book immediately became a firm favourite with my 30 month old toddler and is usually read at least once every day! The illustrations are colourful and fun. I can't imagine any toddler not enjoying this story.
on 27 December 2010
My 3 year old grandson is always asking for me to read this. The illustrations are great. Lots of animals to talk about & name. Well worth buying
on 10 August 2015
A great story for PSHE or for your own child or children you work with. I told it to the children at church during the children's story time. I usually use props but they engaged well with the lively pictures and questions that can derive from the story.
on 9 May 2014
This is a story about a crocodile who doesn't want to share his river with the other creatures. Then one day he has a pain in his jaw. All the other creatures wonder what is the matter with the crocodile but nobody tries to help. A mouse then runs onto the crocodile's tummy while the other creatures stare and assume he'll be eaten. The mouse climbs into the crocodile's mouth and pulls out one of the crocodile's teeth, relieving the crocodile of his pain. The crocodile lets the mouse get rid of the tooth and says when he has done that he can back and he'll have a present. The mouse does that and the crocodile gives him a nut. The crocodile and mouse become friends. The crocodile then decides to share the river with all the other creatures.

The book has nice bold pictures, but the text feels a bit uninspired and the story didn't quite hang together well enough for me. My 3 year old quite enjoyed it - we read it 3 or 4 times over the course of a week and then he lost interest. I didn't mind reading it, but it wasn't a book that I would have wanted to read lots and lots of time. It was a perfectly fine book to get out the library as we did, but not sure that I would bother buying a copy.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 January 2016
Storyline -
A story about a selfish crocodile who thinks the river is his and doesn’t allow anyone to bath in it. One day he gets a terrible tooth ache and the mouse goes into his mouth to remove the tooth. The crocodile is so thankful and then allows everyone to share the river.

Themes: healthy eating, self care, friendships, people who help us, sharing, teeth, keeping healthy, animals.

Activity ideas:
- Children could fill in a chart when they brush their teeth and get a reward at the end.
- Children could discuss anytime when they have been in pain.
- Children could discuss what they would have done in that situation.
- Children could talk about what healthy eating is and how their teeth can be affected by certain foods.
- Children could have a role play dentist and act out as a dentist (part of a people who help us topic).
on 31 August 2011
The pictures are very rich and I find myself examining each page for the little details which make the art so good. It start with the selfish crocodile which is mean to the other animals, it gets in trouble and a mouse helps it out, the crocodile then becomes friendly to the others... the end. Yes the moral is not to be selfish but it isn't very clear and wouldn't be clear to a child. The croc could've at least apologised or declared what lesson was learnt. Oh well...
on 5 June 2012
My 2 year old loved this book right from the start. The pictures are lovely and it's fun to read too. I love the fact that there are so many morals in this story, which we can discuss, including: It's not nice to be selfish and unfriendly because it causes other people trouble, and they might not want to be nice to you when you need help; it's important to clean your teeth well; sometimes someone who seems unfriendly actually needs someone to be nice to them and bring them into the community. My daughter is keen to clean her teeth because she doesn't want to get a sore tooth like the poor croccodile.
on 14 September 2009
This is an excellent book and cd, my daughter is 4 and she loves it. The cd is very good for thoses odd nights where story time becomes a struggle.
on 9 October 2013
A fantastic book for young and the young at heart - whatever our position on the age spectrum we often need to be reminded about sharing and caring for the needs of others, and this book does just that!