Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 June 2016
I was really looking forward to this book as it was reviewed as a simple introduction to Buddhism. It's more like how many words can i use in one sentence. It's nor simple or pleasurable, i gave it a good go i really did. But just a bit too stuffy and overwritten.
on 11 December 2014
Very easy and another view. Always wise.

I started Buddhism years ago, I just never knew I was doing it. I see the teachings
as a map for my life while I'm here.
on 17 August 2016
Bought this book for a second time, having read it years before. The grating American English aside, this is a fine introduction to the principles of Buddhism.
on 12 May 2013
An exciting and mind-expanding introduction to some challenging concepts. One to re-read (perhaps several times) and to try to put intopractice.
on 19 July 2011
Like some of the reviewers, I struggled a little with Batchelor's prose style (Steve Hagen's books are easier to read). I think this book is aimed at an educated middle-class readership - general readers would probably be better reading "Buddhism Plain and Simple" and/or "Buddhism Is Not What You Think" first. Nevertheless there are some good insights in this book (and some humour), but it's not really a holiday read!
on 8 December 2014
This book is brilliant. After reading it, I wanted to read it immediately again.
on 11 February 2016
interesting and useful read
on 14 January 2002
The book starts by dismissing the need for beliefs and then within a few pages Batchelor is talking about beliefs! Of course, he has to talk about beliefs - it's impossible not to. There is a heavy slant on how the reality of death should be used as a standard in our everyday life, but, like the other points he makes on compassion and enlightenment, he doesn't really follow through. We have to admit (don't we?) that there is no Buddhism without beliefs, just a set of psychological tricks and mumbo-jumbo we hope (believe) will make us feel better - so long as we don't think about it too hard it probably will. There's plenty of fine sentiment in this 'this will change your life' kind of book, but nothing particularly radical. If you've already read one Buddhism self-help book, forget this one. If you haven't ... well, forget this one anyway.
on 17 March 2015
Amazing insights. This book has helped me carve a unique path inh own spiritual journey. I am reading it again now and ordering a copy for my sister. Profound.
on 29 November 2014
Good read taking the religion out very much like the sedona method by lester Levinson just the science of letting go