Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 July 2016
Interesting look at the importance of human instinct, not especially scientific but gives good insight to the world of violence through the eyes of an expert. As well as giving advice applicable to everyone's life. Well written and a page Turner to boot.
on 22 April 2016
I I expected a lot more of this given how highly rated it is, but the author spends a very large amount of time talking about himself, selling himself. Well, I thought, have bought your book you don't need to sell yourself now, just get on with it! But alas this continues throughout the book and a lot of the time I just end up being extremely bored wondering when the actual advice and real peoples life experiences will come in.. I like the descriptions of the scenarios in which people found themselves in danger, and why, and what could be done to prevent it, but I found those "scenario-based" parts of the book to be about 10% of it if that, when I expected it to be more 90% scenario, 10% explaining his credentials/sales pitch. Sadly the 90% and 10% are reversed.

Very disappointing purchase even if it was £1, I wish I'd never bothered.
on 18 August 2011
An extremely interesting read, even for those of us who don't live in America. While a few details are America-specific, these details only matter in terms of the situation, not the actual 'lesson'. I'll definetely loan my copy to friends... Once I'm done with it.
on 30 September 2007
Of all the books on Self Defence & Conflict Management/Resolution that I have ever read, THIS one has to be the very best. The fact that it has lasted so long in print & stood the test of time is its best testimonial; I've not seen a negative review about it yet.

A couple of honest points first. There are too many references to other books & authors for my liking - a larger bibliography would have made reading easier. Also, there a many times De Becker mentions "....& I'll covering such & such in more detail in chapter so & so). These niggles are minor compared to the nature of its important & potentially life saving content.

Something that would have made this interesting & fascinating book easier to refer back to would have been more sub-headings, highlighting & bullet points, perhaps even summary points at the end of each chapter.

This is a huge reference manual that ought to take a prominent place in any self-defence instructors book shelf.

They say - "Prevention is better than Cure" & so the main theme throughout is not finding yourself in a situation that could end up in some form of nasty conflict with an adversary that you would certainly not want to confront or fight. So instead of waiting for an attack to happen & then have to deal with the inevitable & nasty consequences of fighting, De Becker teaches us using many useful explanations about the use of intuition & how to recognise & nurture it. More importantly he tells us that we need to pay more attention to our intuition, gut feelings, hunches & suspicions. This he does very successfully by giving us the signals to look for in others, that we ought to be wary of & who may become dangerous; thus we avoid getting into difficulties.

The skills necessary to do this are done by repeating various easy techniques to good effect. I feel that we need this repetition to let these important life skills sink in well.

De Becker also teaches us that fear, when recognised & if reacted to in the correct manner, is a good & desirable thing. We need to learn to recognise those strange feelings, like butterflies inside of us, & put them into proper use.

Please don't be put off by the cover of the book that looks a little old fashioned or that it has been around since 1997. The title really does say it all & it includes all the skills & information you need within its 432 pages to help save our or our families lives.

Do check out De Beckers credentials from his website, he's easy to find on Google, should you feel the need to be convinced any further about his competency & experience to teach on the subject.

Complimentary titles that go with this title are: Beauty Bites Beast: Awakening the Warrior Within Women and Girls by Ellen Snortland &
A Girl's Gotta Do What a Girl's Gotta Do: A Complete Guide to Personal Safety for Women by Kathleen Baty.
on 8 December 2012
This isn't a self-help book. It's a revelation. All women should read this by the age of 16, it would reduce the number of rapes, murders and abductions considerably. That's a sweeping statement but women really need to trust their inner radar about men and situations they find uncomfortable. Buy this book.
on 23 September 2015
Wow ! learn't a lot from this book . I really do think everyone should read it
on 9 June 2014
Very interesting book. Brings lots of examples that ensure you get the point. Certainly left me feeling educated and insightful into how I can use my instincts and intelligence to read potentially harmful situations. Excellent read.
on 10 August 2009
A fantastic book. I wanted to know about domestic violence, spousal killings and the potential for hard to be done to myself. This book answered all the questions that I had in my head and put me straight about the probability of harm. Understanding that violence was not really random was a new concept for me and having it explained in the way that Debecker sets it out was easy and understandable. I can highly recommend this book.
on 30 August 2014
Brilliant book, really made me think about my safety living in a large city. I no longer worry about offending someone, if I don't feel right then I will get out of a situation. I highly recommend this book, very interesting and well written.
on 7 June 2013
This book was recommended by a friend...so my expectation was already high. But as I read the book it absolutely fulfilled my expectation. A very well written book and a very good read.