on 11 April 2009
Thoroughly recommend this book to any woman who is (and who isn't?!) concerned about their personal safety. Amusing and informative, tips and guides for keeping yourself safe without living in fear. How to know when you are in danger, and what to do about it. And guys - great read for you too, both for yourselves, and the more you know, the more you can help your loved-ones keep safe.
on 6 September 2009
This is an excellent informative book that would save lives if women read it. There is enough variety between useful facts and related cases to keep your interest. As the author is American writing for American's you need to need to keep perspective, but that does not stop the fact that this is a must read for those who want to understand themselves and the people around them better and are against violence. All of my female friends will be receiving a copy for Christmas.
on 1 October 2003
A great book - taught me loads of things to be aware of in certain situations and also made me realise how I had used my intuition in the past. All mothers should buy this for their daughters.
on 5 March 2010
On my bookshelf I have about half a dozen books which to me have changed my life. This is one of them. I bought it after being mugged and realised that I was given all the signs and danger signals which would have prevented my being mugged had I acknowledged and acted on them. As another commentator has noted, this book will change the way you see people for ever. Now I never ignore a gut feeling about someone and I always pay attention to what is going on around me - no earphones or mobile phones whilst walking down a street. Gavin de Becker teaches you that awareness is 90% of survival. It is no exaggeration to say that this book could save your life.
on 13 July 2007
Gavin de Becker deals in a thorough way with the subject of violence, how one can predict it and also how one can protect oneself against it. The book is full of examples and many insights and leaves the reader with a much better understanding of fear and the warning that real fear communicates. It is clear from reading this book that violence doesn't just happen out of the blue, but that there are important steps that precedes the expression of violence that the attentive observer can use to protect him or herself. A very commendable read, that anyone would benefit from reading.
on 28 February 2010
This book is one of the best basic introductions to avoiding danger and dangerous situations out there, including enough detail and enough information.

One caution I would put in is that it does contain some descriptions of previous cases and situations worked by and explained too the author during his life time, and some of them could be distressing, despite their none graphic nature, to sensative people.
on 18 November 2013
This book has changed my perception on the world around me.
it has taught me to open my eyes and to really see, this book is well written and informative... a great gift for a young women or even a young man. teaches you to use all your senses when out and about and how to trust your intuition!
on 14 August 1999
In 'The Gift Of Fear' Gavin de Becker offers a perceptive analysis of how some forms of violence begin and escalate. Covering stalking, workplace violence, relationship violence and many other areas the book offers practical strategies to enable readers to saty safe. Most importantly, it puts the reader in control of their own safety and puts the use of intuition in its rightful place. 'The Gift Of Fear' is written in an engaging style and is a must read book for anyone who is interested in learning more about violence and personal safety.
on 2 December 2012
I won't write an essay because this book doesn't require an essay. All it requires is for a person in the right state of mind in the right sort of predicament to buy this book and feel something useful coming from it. Inside it is a glorious read on how much you can trust your fears instead of passing them off as nothing. It has greatly increased my ability to understand my fear and my strength in acting upon it. If you're 'feeble' when it comes to your fear, this book should help reinforce your understanding and ability of coping with and dealing with fear.
on 21 February 2013
Gavin shows us to a completely new way to look at, and interpret the so called "intuition" (vulgarly refereed to as 'gut feeling'), and how learning to listen to it, could many times help us to avoid many life threatening signs.
Full of real examples, Gavin describes several cases where paying attention to those signs actually saved the lives of their clients.
Totally worth checking, if not for more, to better understand why some situations or ppl makes you 'uneasy', even when (apparently) without reason.