on 23 January 2013
A really funny look at being in that twilight zone known at being a new parent. Laugh out loud. Arrived promptly. I bought this for a friend as I'd read it in the early days myself and cried with laughter at what Vicki says.
on 17 January 2007
Brilliant read! I'd recommend it to all new mums.

I was at my wits end a few weeks after the birth of my baby. I'd had little sleep, breastfeeding was agony and my hormones and emotions were all over the place.

I bought this book and wished I'd read it earlier. I laughed out loud so many times. Such a lot of what it says is so true. It actually made me feel sane and 'normal' again. Motherhood is rewarding but can be difficult and this book tells it how it is.

My only criticism would be the fact that it is obviously written for an American audience and some of the chapters (on hospitals and doctors) should have been completely re-written for the UK (rather than just using margin notes to explain the differences).
on 27 February 2015
great book, read it with great pleasure, also bought it again for friends.
on 6 March 2003
I found this book really patronising.
It's been more or less edited for the British market, but there is so much content at the beginning that is just not relevant outside the US.
I was particularly wound up by the bit about subsequent pregnancies, apparently no-one she knows let morning sickness stop them living their lives, they just vomited in the executive washroom put on their lipstick and got on with it. As someone who ended up in hospital with hyperemesis, I found this rather offensive!
She also suggests that the best way to lose weight after birth is to eat very little - hardly sound advice for breast-feeding mothers.
on 29 November 2015
A fun read, these books are great!
on 13 August 2007
This book - in the era of supernannies, supermums and everyone knowing *exactly* what to do with a baby - is an absolute must-read for anyone with a sense of humour and some grounding in reality. I completely loved the honesty and down-to-earth style of this book (other books in her series are also brilliant). No-one said having a baby was going to be easy but it's a whole lot easier with Vicki Iovine's advice. She never says what you *should* do and leaves plenty to instinct but always reassures that what you're doing isn't actually bad. And along the way she manages to make everything seem humorous which is quite an achievement in those early weeks... Evey one of her "best friends" has done something a little differently so there's something in here for everyone from the breast-feed-till-they're-five camp to the routine-from week-two camp. This is my baby shower gift for all my first-time-mum friends and is always well-received. (Personally I've never been a fan of parenting manuals and got away with reading none with my first child; this is less a manual and more a reassurance. Perhaps that's why I loved it so much.)
on 7 September 2010
After reading Vicki Iovine's Best Friends Guide to Pregnancy I had to buy this book. The book is well written with plenty of advice and honest opinions about the first year of motherhood. She has funny stories and observations which on a day when you are feeling down really cheer you up and make you realise you are not on your own.
I would definitely recommend this book.
on 7 March 2012
This book refers to breasts as "lovely sex toys" and "udders," when in fact they are neither. They are parts of my body like any other. Would any publishing company print a book on fatherhood that described the penis in similarly disrespectful terms? I seriously doubt it.
on 28 August 2003
I can't comment on the whole of this book, because I stopped reading it before I'd reached the half-way mark. I started it towards the end of my pregnancy and just found it so depressing and negative about how I was going to feel and look after giving birth - how my life would never be the same, and how I should say goodbye to everything good. Which has not been my experience at all. This book may try to tell you about motherhood 'warts and all' but it goes too far: yes it may take a few months to get back into shape after having a baby, and yes a baby takes a while to sleep through the night, but this book made me think that I was going to be a fat, sleep-deprived, sexless mother and there was nothing I could do about it. Find a book that celebrates motherhood, not one that denigrates it.
on 9 November 2009
Book does tell you alot of thinks that you are thinking in your mind and maybe you wouldn't find out at the doc's