on 3 May 1999
This novel has its admirers but also those who, like myself, loathe it. Fugitive Pieces makes the holocaust an aesthetic, poetic experience. The Holocaust, lyrical? Perhaps the book is summed up for me by a German woman who said how much she enjoyed it. 'This is the the first book I've read about the holocaust that isn't upsetting.' If that's what you want, buy it. If not stick to Primo Levi.
on 13 June 2015
Excellent service. Beautiful book
on 5 November 1999
Anne Michaels has a writing language that I've never experienced before. One is actually able to visualize most of the events and persons of her story through her poetic language. It really stimulates ones imagination to the utmost. The story of a man, through life haunted by unforgettable war memories, is also given a powerful touch of authenticity. One can really feel his problem of adapting to the world after his frightful experiences. "His" story seems so incredibly real though it's not. The book is definitely one of the best I've ever read, and I can most warmly recommend it to anyone who likes to read. I haven't read it for the last time, that's for sure!!!
A book well worth reading
on 12 February 2015
great book for my higher english. difficult read but the rich text leaves a lot to think about.
on 29 November 2014
So original, such a subtle but strong story, so beautifully and powerfully written.
on 2 March 1999
No book has ever moved me as much as Anne Michaels' Fugitive Pieces. Poetic, wise and yet supremely humble, this is the story of a man forever displaced.
Given time, this book probably has the power to make better people out of us all. Please read it.
on 18 August 2008
Really, I wanted to give this awfull rubbish NO stars, but they wouldn't let me.

As I staggered, punch drunk, towards the end of this truly terrible book I kept turning, in disbelief, to the pages-long, glowing blurbs. What madness had overcome the entire literary establishment in 1997? Had they all had their brains sucked out with a straw before being allowed to review it? Who knows. It was useful to remind myself that until some loonie foisted it upon me whilst on holiday in Greece this year (2008) I had never actually heard of it. Given that I subscribe to the LRB, read hundreds of books a year and am a general all round smart alec it is probably no accident that this pile of pooh has fallen off the radar.

So what's wrong? Well just about everything. The prose style is hilariously 'poetic' - ie. pretentious. Every damn paragraph sounds like a parody of the one before or after - it is unremittingly predictable and boring. (Incidentally - why would two of the characters visit the site of a 'fortressed' Iroquois camp when 'fortified' would have sufficed in English as we know it? Merely one example of 'poetry' in action) The dialogue, if it can be described as such, is utterly unrealistic. The characters are samey, lame, unconvincing and wincingly wise and wonderful. The two first person narrators are men (and I'm one) but they come across as completely soppy, over empathetic, North American Jewish women.

The content is no less awful than the style. The narrative interest is negligible - plot on the back of a postage stamp - and whilst this is, of course, no great condemnation by itself the hackneyed, creepy holocaust element has nothing original nor interesting going for it. Read 'The White Hotel' if you really want to shock yourself and enjoy the prose.

As I read this pile of tosh I kept thinking, 'my god this author must be hell to know / live with.' She is humourless, dull, turgid and can't write for toffee. For what it is worth the melodies of 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' and 'Ba Ba BLack Sheep' are not identical. Just try humming them.
on 17 February 2010
I had really high expectations for this book, the synopsis sounded very enticing. oh how I was let down. The language was so flowery, the author trying to make the book 'poetic' really did not work. Quite frankly I was bored and disappointed with this novel and in the end I gave up on it. There are so many great novels with a holocaust theme and even more superbly written true life experiences of the holocaust - so don't bother wasting time on this book.
on 18 November 2012
If you do not want to know what happens in the story do not read the piece by John Berger because he tells you. This has spoilt it for me and I cannot understand why they put that in the book. I bought this for my English Lit degree so have not properly covered it yet but from what I have read so far it is a good book despite knowing what happens to the boy. Arrived as stated and just as the seller described.