Customer reviews

on 13 August 2009
If you have the courage to read what it was truly like in the Warsaw Ghetto, then this book will take you there. You can't help but really like the young writer and both admire and respect this lad's intelligence. He writes in such a way that you feel you are there and the brutal truths he captures are often from where you would least expect. When I had finished reading his account I felt like I really knew this amazing young man and dare I say - missed him.
on 17 August 2015
Outstanding. Haunting. Memorable. I discovered Dawid's diary after visiting a special exhibit on the Lodz Ghetto at the U.S. Holocaust Museum several years ago. Dawid's "voice" was one of five that led us through the Ghetto's history. One volume from his diary was on display and, of course, the gift shop had this printed edition for sale. I eagerly dove into into the volume and soon found myself absorbed into this horrific yet curiously hopeful and often even upbeat world, a prison of a "town" where those imprisoned sought to create a sense of organization and normalcy for themselves. Dawid's diary entries begin just before the war, at summer camp, a brilliant young boy having the time of his life. Within days of returning home the Nazi threat becomes grim reality as the Germans invade Poland, take control of Lodz, and begin the process of snuffing out the Jewish community there. The entries span nearly four years and document Dawid's physical decline, his rapidly-expanding young mind and most generous soul. His entries range from the mundane (number of discernible vegetables found in that day's soup) to the sublime (his on-going political awakening and self-realization) to the downright heartbreaking (the day the Nazis came to take his mother away). Yes, this is not a story with a happy ending and it is not a bright, uplifting book necessarily, but I strongly (underline that a few times, please) urge you to buy and to read this precious volume! The reason for this recommendation is Dawid himself. This is an outstanding kid, and through this volume we gain the privilege of knowing him. Budding young leader, an enormous and wide-ranging intellect, the drive to succeed, to achieve, to expand -- and ultimately to survive, you will find yourself thinking of and remembering Dawid quite fondly long after you finish this book. It frustrates the hell out of me that this brilliant young life was ended so very early, I'm left wanting more life for him, more words from him. I can only imagine what "might have been" and THAT is the really the true tragedy of the Holocaust, isn't it? Rumor has it that the complete diaries are being prepared for publication in Polish very soon (this is an abridged, though still quite substantial version) and I can only hope that volume will find its way to an English edition soon. Until then, BUY this book and lose yourself in it! I think you will be quite happy you did.
on 17 August 2015
Outstanding. Haunting. Memorable. I discovered Dawid's diary after visiting a special exhibit on the Lodz Ghetto at the U.S. Holocaust Museum several years ago. Dawid's "voice" was one of five that led us through the Ghetto's history, one volume from his diary was on display and, of course, the giftshop had this printed edition for sale. I eagerly dove into into the volume and soon found myself absorbed into this horrific yet curiously hopeful and often even upbeat world, a prison of a "town" where those imprisoned sought to create a sense of organization and normalcy for themselves. Dawid's diary entries begin just before the war, at summer camp, a brilliant young boy having the time of his life. Within days of returning home the Nazi threat becomes grim reality as the Germans invade Poland, take control of Lodz, and begin the process of snuffing out the Jewish community there. The entries span nearly four years and document Dawid's physical decline, his rapidly-expanding young mind and most generous soul. His entries range from the mundane (number of discernible vegetables found in that day's soup) to the sublime (his on-going political awakening and self-realization) to the downright heartbreaking (the day the Nazis came to take his mother away). Yes, this is not a story with a happy ending and it is not a bright, uplifting book necessarily, but I strongly (underline that a few times, please) urge you to buy and to read this precious volume! The reason for this recommendation is Dawid himself. This is an outstanding kid, and through this volume we gain the privilege of knowing him. Budding young leader, an enormous and wide-ranging intellect, the drive to succeed, to achieve, to expand -- and ultimately to survive, you will find yourself thinking of and remembering Dawid quite fondly long after you finish this book. It frustrates the hell out of me that this brilliant young life was ended so very early, I'm left wanting more life for him, more words from him. I can only imagine what "might have been" and THAT is the really the true tragedy of the Holocaust, isn't it? Rumor has it that the complete diaries are being prepared for publication in Polish very soon (this is an abridged, though still quite substantial version) and I can only hope that volume will find its way to an English edition soon. Until then, BUY this book and lose yourself in it! I think you will be quite happy you did.
on 21 May 2015
written by a victim of the Lodz ghetto....a closed ghetto....O my gosh - that some notebooks were "lost".....
on 29 September 2014
An excellent diary, well worth reading A*****