Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 November 2003
I didn't recognise this book from the boring publisher's review above. Fran is now working in a trendy pizzeria - once Jimmie's SpudBar - as a waitress, and rehearsing at night in a production of The Hound of the Baskervilles to take place above a local pub. She has suspicions about the pizzeria - even more so when she hears a young boy asking for someone called Max at the back door, and then being ordered away. Later she meets him and after hearing his story, believes him. He is then pushed under an underground train and Fran and Susie Duke - the private detective's widow from the previous book - set about looking for the sinister Max. I was disapointed when the Mitchell & Markby books stopped as I really enjoyed them; I was nearly as suspicious of this very young, bolshie street girl as Fran is of the pizzeria. But I have now got into the books and like them very much. What is more, they are re-readable, which is my own test of a book. I look forward to the next Fran Varady in Feb 2004
on 27 April 2010
I found this a very engrossing story, couldnt get enough, and continued reading throughout the night to get to the end.
Ann Granger certainly knows how to grip her readers, and this is one of her best.
on 18 September 2015
I have always been a fan of the whodunnit, especially on those chill wood-smoked autumn evenings and having found Ms Granger some years ago my fireside reading is thus guaranteed for the years to come, not least through the pages of the Fran Varady series. Truly excellent.
on 13 March 2015
I found this book in a holiday villa when I had run out of books to read and I must admit that it didn't jump out at me as something I really wanted to read. But..........it turned out to be a really good 'detective' novel. Fran Varady is an unusual, young, punkish, accidental detective who gets involved in investigating people trafficking.
Ann Granger is definitely a writer to follow.
on 27 March 2014
Things are on the up for previously home less amateur detective, she' got a job, a home and is in an amateur theatre production, but as usual things just happen to Fran.
on 7 March 2014
Received publication within advised time, always enjoy Ann Granger novels, with
herione, Fran Varidey have already read this one and not dissapointed.
on 10 November 2013
it is easy to read. Keeps me interested and want to keep reading. Like the fact it is written in series form so know the characters.
on 6 June 2015
I have really enjoyed this series of books.
on 23 December 2014
Love these books totally satisfied!
on 21 September 2015