on 9 July 2004
This has to be the best book I have read in ages. My wife normally reads books that I read, but she said it was pointless as she was told all about the book as I was reading it!!!! Excellent
on 30 October 2005
Mark Barrowcliffe is in my opinion a major new talent and should rank alongside Terry Pratchett and Ben Elton and should also sell as much as them. I was absolutely knocked out by Girlfriend 44 and so eagerly snapped up Infidelity for first time fathers. Lucky Dog, his third novel is amazingly good, it's touch and go whether it beats Girlfriend and its a shame it was published just before the UK online poker boom. A lauch at the right time, taking the poker angle could have propelled Barrowcliffe to where he belongs - the number 1 best seller slot! This guy is as observant and witty as Ben Elton, I can see why he didn't pursue a career as a stand up comedian because his wit needs to be written down and thought about. As you can see, I can't praise him enough. I'm off for a lie down now.
on 17 June 2004
This really is one of the most amusing books that I've read in a long time with almost every-other line containing witty, original phrases. However, beyond the hilarity of the prose, this is a touching book and I developed a genuine fondness for the central character 'Dave' whose ups and downs caused me to reflect on my own values, the meaning of life and whether or not I should get a dog. Overall, it is marvelously, funny and uplifting - I ploughed through this cleverly crafted storyline in a couple of days and I challenge anyone not to enjoy it.
on 7 June 2004
This book is very, very funny.
It pairs an honest estate agent, Dave, with a talking dog, Reg. Dave can't lie and Reg can sniff out the truth about everyone - including Dave's girlfriend and his poker school enemies. The dog's an absolute scene stealer, with a hilarious 'Terry Thomas' tone and funny 4 foot high (4 footed?) outlook on the world. It's well plotted with great twists and turns.
I pre-ordered 'Lucky Dog' because I enjoyed Barrowcliffe's other books. Basically: I really recommend this book.
on 15 June 2004
Excellent book - I've read Mark's other books but this is definately his best. The dog is truly the star of the book and sooo funny! If only dogs were truly this way.... or maybe they are....!
Well written, perceptive, great laugh out loud moments - buy it!
on 25 June 2004
Well done Mark!
This is by far the best book I have read in a long time.
The combination of wit, honesty and complete disregard for anything remotely p.c., make it ideal for whiling away borimg commuter journeys.
It's a definite "must read" and also a "must keep" book as you'll want to read it again and again and again...........
on 25 July 2012
I have now read this book twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Dave is an essentially honest estate agent secretly addicted to gambling with a disfunctional relationship with his long-standing girlfriend. Through am odd sequence of events he finds himself in possession of a talking dog called Reg - or rather a dog that just he can hear - and an opportunity to resolve his immediate financial worries. Things for Dave go predictably downhill with some great comic moments. The story is a very easy read with some great one-liners but is really made for me by the dogs-eye view of the world presented.
"'You're a hellooo' said the dog, 'like I'm a dog. Don't you know what you are?'. 'I'm a human I said'. 'We call you hellooos' said the dog. 'It's what you say every time you meet a dog'."
on 24 September 2013
I read and enjoyed this book years ago, really pleased I've downloaded it on my Kindle, it's just as good reading it again. Very funny, a must for dog lovers. The author has put a voice to a dog, which works very well, something I know a lot of pet owners do. All in all it works really well and seems very believable.
Strongly recomended..........
on 4 October 2006
I have to say, I'm not the greatest book reader, but go to the library every now and then. And this caught my eye in the new "Quick Choice" area. It looked interesting, but, when I started reading it, I was a little dissappointed at first, but it had the edge to it where even though it wasn't the greatest book I'd read, there was something that made me have to read more and read it fully. So I continued to read it, and soon found it to be an excellent choice of book. Also, it helped me come to terms with issues happening in my life, which I wasn't expecting, but gave me a more positive outlook on life, just from this one book. I'm now recommending it to others to read, and am looking into reading more books by Barrowcliffe.
I picked this book up at random and read the first page. From reading the first page I was sure I was going to enjoy it.

"Today is the beginning of the dog days of June," is the vicar's rather unusual aside at Dave Barker's mother's funeral in chapter one. How right he was! Reg, the dog who Dave is to meet in very unusual circumstances, just later that afternoon has a massive impact on his life. Reg is a wonderful character and the book is a really good read.