Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 3 December 2005
When I first heard of the release of yet another posthumous novel from Richard Laymon, I had mixed feelings. One, I have been an avid reader of Laymon's works for the past 15 years, and have managed to read all in his considerable collection -- therefore, I felt eager to get my hands on yet another. Two, I had been sorely disappointed by Laymon's past two offerings -- Amara, and The Lake. Both, sub-standard in comparison to classics such as Blood Games, Darkness Tell Us, and the Island. Therefore, although I felt excitement at the idea of another Laymon book, I was also keenly aware that my excitement was likely to turn to disappointment.
Well, what a pleasant surprise when I started reading The Glory Bus. Despite the rather curious and slightly 'dodgy' sounding title (I think The Glory Bus was released as Into the Fire in the US -- a much better title in my opinion!), I found myself hooked after the first chapter. This is Laymon on top form -- the Laymon of the aforementioned classic titles. Forget about Amara, and The Lake. In my opinion, this book more than makes up for those disasters.
Without spoiling the plot, the book centres around two main characters; Pamela, and Norman. Pamela is a young woman, who finds herself abducted by a crazed stalker. Norman is a college student, who finds himself offering a ride to two sociopathic, psychopathic (and all other kinds of pathic!) Duke and Boots. I guess I cannot really expand without ruining the plot. But, be sure that there is plenty of creepiness, humour, and violence to keep the pages turning at a healthy rate.
If you are a Laymon fan -- buy it. If you are not a Laymon fan -- buy it, and then buy all of his other works (except the aforementioned bad apples!).
I read that this is likely to be the last of Richard Laymon' manuscripts for publication. I hope not. But, if it is, then he has certainly gone out with style.
on 17 May 2005
I'm a massive Laymon fan and have been waiting for this book for months. It was well worth the wait. I read it in one day, I just couldn't put it down. Its action packed from the beginning to the end, full of twists and turns and keeps the reader hooked. For anyone concidering buying this book who hasn't read a laymon novel before, I'd definatly recommend it. Although its a little gory, its not as sick as some of his work. You will find yourself absorbed in the adventures of Pamela and Norman, 2 completely different characters, drawn together by The Glory Bus!
on 16 February 2006
He has his very own writing style - well, most of the better authors do but Laymon's is really unique. No one writes like him. His novels are always gory, there's always a lot of violence, people are being stalked, women are getting raped. It's always the same situation - people are being victimized in the worst ways imaginable, because some seemingly tough guy/guys think it's funny and they get away with it. They might, for a while, but eventually someone will stand up to them and fight back.
Laymon is very creative and comes up with the most far-fetched and unbelievable theories, but the way he describes things, they usually start to sound at least possible quite quickly. Laymon also injects a large portion of (black) humour into his stories. The message is clear - Trust no one. Everyone out there could be a potential killer/rapist/psychopath trying to get you.
I've read 30 Laymon novels and I must say, I'm much more careful now. I certainly make sure all the doors and windows are locked at night! I especially loved The Travelling Vampire Show, Funland and Fiends.
on 14 August 2016
I've read reviews of this author's books before but never bought and read one until now... I always read horror and like the extremes.
This isn't extreme horror in any way but it's extremely addictive, I read the book in two days, the author's writing is definitely unique and absorbing, the characters aren't very likeable , they're raw, edgy and totally bonkers.
The story doesn't pan out as expected but it is a thrilling and slightly depraved journey.
I'll definitely if my be reading more of Laymon's books, I can totally understand why he has so many fans.
on 5 March 2006
This isnt actually my favourite book - it's my second favourite but it comes pretty close to being my first. The book itself is worth the 5 stars but the fantastic charactor Boots shoots it up to about 30 stars. If your reading this review please please! buy this book. It's funny scary and full of loveable charactors, especially the psychopathic, sociopathic Boots. BUY THIS BOOK!!!!
on 30 July 2005
Laymon's been dead for four years now, yet he keeps pumping them out. The posthumous books are of the similar quality and writing style to his books, so who's writing them now? No way they were written by him, let alone finished by him. I'll go for the possibility that they were ideas scribbled before he died suddenly in 2001 and finished by 'other writers'. I'm not criticising, they're a pretty good read, but still...
on 23 August 2007
Like all Richard Laymon Books this book is great, I thought I'd read most of his books only to discover there's more!!!!! BRILL... his books are so simple to read yet still have your imagination running away with you. If you've never read his books before and love spooky horror books give them a try. You will be hooked.
on 23 November 2007
This is another great Laymon classic but don't buy The Glory Bus if you have Into The Fire - it's the same novel with a different title!
on 17 January 2013
The greatest of all 'pulp' horror writers delivers a rollercoaster ride of excess seemingly from beyond the grave. Fans will need no further recommendation but, be warned, one or two characters are not to usual Laymon standard and this does feel like a draft in places. Nevertheless a cracking read you won't put down unless you're easily offended; in which case you probably shouldn't even think about entering Laymon' s world. Much fun.
on 27 August 2012
A great horror novel set in a desert. This desert offers some great facilities, a restaurant that sells top quality cheesburgers and a bus that is never late. However this is no ordinary bus, this is the Glory bus - step aboard, have a ride to the restaurant and you simply become the next customer's orders...

My favourite novel by Laymon so far, the characters and suspense will have you hooked to the end.