Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 August 2017
Not your usual James Patterson book. It could be a romance, but it's not just that. It could be sentimental, but it's not quite that either. Told from two points of few - that of the diarist, Suzanne, writing to her baby son and Katie, who is sent the diary to read. The story is told tenderly and with, it seems, some insight. It's a story of love - lost and rediscovered, with a few other emotions thrown in for good measure! It's not the longest book, which probably stops it becoming too gushy and sentimental. Like many other reviewers, I read it in a couple of sittings and enjoyed it very much.
on 1 April 2013
This book had me and my Mum hooked and was absolutely fantastic. Don't read too many reviews though as the ending will be spoilt.
on 31 August 2001
I picked up this book in bed, intending to read a couple of chapters and two hours later I'd finished it! I just could'nt put the book down, I kept thinking I'll just read one more chapter, just one more..... and before I knew it, I'd read the lot in one go. I am an avid reader and it is a long time since I picked up a book that had me hooked until the end. It is a real tear jerker of a story with a twist at the end and definately requires a box of tissues. It really is the best book I have read in ages and I have recommended it to all my family and friends. Having read James Pattersons 'Alex Cross' detective books, I bought this book because I like the author and did'nt really expect that much of it. I got a nice surprise. It is brilliant!
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas is a story within a story. The bulk of the book is a diary written by a mother for her new-born son. She explains how she met her husband, how they fell in love, what the pregnancy was like, and recounts her reactions to the life of young Nicholas. This part of the book works beautifully. I think the concept is a brilliant one, and I hope that parents who read this book will create such diaries for their children. The reading by Becky Ann Baker is moving, and brings these experiences to life in a wonderful way!
The external story doesn't work nearly as well. Katie Wilkinson has fallen in love and is pregnant by a mysterious poet from Martha's Vineyard. Just when it looks like marriage is in the cards, he flees. The next morning, she finds the diary along with a note that it may be hurtful to read the diary. She cannot figure out what the message of the diary is until the very end. This story's superstructure just dilutes the beauty of the story in the diary.
Mr. Patterson does one thing that I consider unforgiveable in a novelist: He deliberately shows off how easily he can mislead the reader . . . to me it felt sort of like him sticking his tongue out at you to establish his superiority over you. As one of several examples I could cite, Suzanne comes to Martha's Vineyard and runs into an old friend, Matt. In other places, she describes the baby's father as Matt. Naturally, many would assume that it is this old friend. No, it is someone else. The first Matt is in the story only for that purpose. Now, really! The most annoying example of this showing off was giving Suzanne a very extreme and unusual heart condition just so Mr. Patterson could create a tricky ending in the diary.
I would not normally complain so much about this sort of flaw, but these sleight-of-hand sections seriously degrade what is otherwise a very lyrical and well-written book.
After you finish reading this book, think about who else you could write a diary for . . . and then do it!
Share your feelings with those you care about!...
on 26 August 2001
I picked this book up not sure what lay beneath its cover. 3 hours later it was finished, and I had tears rolling down my face. A poignant book filled with a love that is rare. Does this kind of love exist today? You have to believe. However, the story of the 5 balls will remain with me for a very long time. Worth reading (but make sure you are on your own, with a box of tissues!).
on 18 January 2006
A truly wonderfully written book. Sad, funny, uplifting and shocking in its twists. I was left feeling desperately sad not only for the characters in the novel but for myself. It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. At 40, I will never experience this depth of love and certainly never twice. Fortunate are those that do.
on 18 October 2009
This book is nothing like the usual James Patterson material.However,it is still as compelling!I read it in 2 days at a cost of too little sleep!I just couldn't put it down.Very highly recommended!!!
VINE VOICEon 2 July 2006
A bittersweet tale which is written beautifully. There are almost two seperate stories in this book, one is that of Suzanne via her diary and the other of the reader of the book (whose name eludes me for some strange reason!). She obtains the book in the post from her ex-boyfriend not so long after he leaves her. The note simply asks her to read the diary even though it may be hard to do so, but that she'll understand why he's left if she does.

We gradually find out the relation between the ex and Suzanne through her diary. There are funny, witty moments and also things striaght from a 'lovers guide to please romantics'.

If all peoples wrote out their thoughts so well we'd never be short of publications and autobiographies. The descriptions and emotions are well captured and you slowly fall in love with the characters as well as the setting.

Definitely one to read. Patterson at his very best outside his usual crime/thriller genre. Maybe he should switch over full time???
on 30 September 2006
This is without a doubt the most beautiful book I've ever read. It touched my heart in ways a book never had before. I would and have highly recommended this book to all I know. Get yourself a big box of Kleenex and make yourself comfortable. This book will take you on a rollercoaster of emotions and dump you out the otherside. If you don't need the tissues, "whats wrong with you?"
on 28 July 2003
As a fan of Patterson I relished the chance to read Suzanne's diary for Nicholas, not only because it was by Patterson but to see if he could do the genre shift and write a romantic novel one his general field of work is crime novels, I wasn't disappointed. the plot features on Katie who has been given a diary by her lover Matthew which was written by his partner suzanne. The diary is written by Suzanne for her baby Nicholas, (how it comes into Katie's hands I wont explain as I dont want to give the entire plot away!). The book is very easy to read as it is written in diary form so it's quite short and in typical patterson style each diary entry is quite short (like his chapters in his other books!) whihc makes it easy to read. A great plot with a good twist a must read!