on 5 June 2003
Not a bad effort the author has a good descriptive of present day London coupled with some cracking dialogue.I did think it lost its way in certain parts but managed to pull it around when it went astray.I did sense the ending and there wasnt much or a surprise element for me personally.Also the depiction of white women throughout the book left a lot to be desired Im sure if it was the other way round accusations of racism would be levelled at the author.
on 4 June 2001
I bought this book as a quick read in the park, but found myself six hours later still wanting to read on. Gareth Joseph has created charactors so believable that you empathise with their every action. This was a completely compelling insight into a world where you would really rather be a fly on the wall than part of it.
This book screams out 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough' from the first page. An absolute must for anyone who has the stomach for it.
on 13 November 2001
I thought this looked like an easy read, something to dip in and out of when I was bored, but I found it totally riviting. I couldn't stop reading it! I even made time in my day especially to catch up the goings-on of the wannabe gangsters. I sincerely hope we get a sequel, or something very similar, form Gareth Joseph.
on 13 February 2004
I think Homegrown was an excellent portrayal of urban life in London and how the characters attempted to survive in that setting. I found that in places the dialogue became a little confusing and I would have probably liked to see a family tree of some sort to connect everybody at the beginning to link the characters.
Apart from this I felt the story was gripping from beginning to end I was touched and near tears at the abuse of little Darryl it was an excellent piece of prose. It set the tone and actually made sense to the character of Barrett. Also raising the issue of social care in the UK especially with the social worker being the pimp.
A great book I think I would like to maybe read it again to get a real sense of the confusion I faced but other than that excellent!! They should think about transferring it to the screen in a serial on BBC or something similar.