on 28 December 2016
Being a girl, this took me until around the end of January of 'Billy's Log' to get my head around, as these are the daily musings, observations and often rants of a 29-30 year old boy! Once I had strapped my testicles on and inhaled the testosterone flying off the pages, this book had me in stitches. Genuinely laugh-out-loud stuff, with characters that were likable, recognisable and very entertaining. If you're a girl, this will open your eyes to how a boy thinks. If you're a boy, I pity you!!!
Definitely give this a read, it's a great, lighthearted look at a year in the life of a single chap on a quest to find some 'female company' - as, it would appear, all chaps are! - and his highs and lows, which he writes daily in his diary, 'Billy's Log'.
on 17 August 2017
Really enjoyed this. Was funny from page one to the end. Billy's some lad.
on 25 November 2015
Funny but true
on 3 December 2001
I approached this book thinking that it would be another slant on lad-lit but instead, what I found was a story that took what is basically a chic-lit plot and turned it on its head. However, that isn't a criticism, far from it. For Billy's Log is a genuinely warm, funny and even touching book. One which by looking at the complexities of relationships from a male perspective, brings to the fore many subjects that rarely receive an airing. In fact, I would be so bold as to suggest that the famale species would get as much out of this books us males!
But whilst thought provoking, the true strength of this book is that it's also one of those all to rare commodities, a genuine laugh-out-loud read.
on 15 August 2017
I've read a few Dougie Brimson books before but this is very different. I loved the fact this was in a diary format, it made it very easy to read. The story was great and was laugh-out-loud in parts. As a female reading it, it was interesting to get a bloke's perspective on women. I'm looking forward to reading Billy's Blog
on 12 August 2001
I read the first 100 pages in one night, a real lads book, I could not stop laughing the whole way through. The situations Billy gets into I can (so can any lad) connect with. It is written fantastically, I found myself really getting drawn in, and eager to find out what Billy is getting up to next. Some of the work environment stuff really rings true, as does most of the book. An essential read, cannot be missed. On the down side, not happy about the Chelsea jives, but I can forgive that as Billy is a poor Watford fan, ...sad.
on 21 January 2003
Although familiar with his non-fictional work, this was the first of the authors fictional books I have read and I've obviously been missing out! To be honest, I still find it slightly bizarre that an author who is more famous for writing about such an in-your-face topic as football violence can deliver a book which is both very funny and in parts, quite emotionally charged. If anything, it shows that the writer has a genuine talent because Billy's Log is a real treat and was a delight to read.
If he would deliver more of this type of work and less of the hoolie-lit, it would surely only be a matter of time before he broke out of the 'yob' mould and into the mainstream.
on 15 February 2004
Yet another diary book, oh no was my first reaction, why did I not notice when I went to buy it?. Oh god this is so so hilarious was my second after page Two! This book is full of laughs, all the way to the end. Based around Billy's life, his football, his work, his drinking in the pub, his work colleges jokes, life's mishaps, women and how things end up. From single life to blissful couple happiness? All I want to say is it a shame the only other thing Dougie Brimson has written about is footie.
HI,
whilst trawling around looking for an interview that is on-line somewhere but which I just can't find, I stumbled across your review of my book Billy;s Log. I guess I just wanted to say thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I certainly enjoyed writing it and all being well, will be doing the sequel at some point soon.
on 27 June 2012
A very witty and funny book .
A good read and I laughed out loud all the way through it.
on 5 February 2006
Just finished reading Billy's Log for the second time and wanted to say how cool it is. I couldn't stop chuckling as it describes Billy's hillarious typical bloke's life! Just like me! Read it- if you're a fella you'll find it so descriptive of our mindset and if you're a lass maybe you'll understand us a bit better. Outstanding stuff