I have been a fan of Susanna Gregory for a long time. Whilst waiting for her latest book I decided to read Michael Jecks. I have to say I am not regretting my decision. His writing improves from book to book. This is the seventh novel and is an excellent piece of very involved writing. The story cleverly draws you towards one character as the murder and as the evidence becomes clearer, the suspicion falls elsewhere. The true culprit, as you would expect, is not revealed until the end, and then there is a wonderful final twist. Superb writing. Highly recommended.
Squire Throwleigh's Heir (A Medieval West Country Mystery)
on 22 September 2013
As ever with Sir Baldwin and Simon, another excellent mystery. This one throws up many red herrings as you journey through. The death of the squire, a brother in need of money, a priest, servants who have agenda,s out on the moors, put together with the death of the new squire, who is only 5 years old, Sir Baldwin and Simon are plunged into a mystery that is as frustrating as any that have gone before. We also have them accompanied by their wives, who seem totally capable of throwing a new perspective to whatever clue they find puzzling.
Sir Baldwin and Simon Puttock are brilliant, what one misses the other doesn,t, and they do not miss much.
This is another excellent example of historical reading. The series is unmissable, as far as I am concerned, and once again I have the next two already lined up to read.
I was still no closer to guessing the murderer, as the story grew to a close. I have to say, the outcome was not one I would have got in a million years, when you read it, you will see what I mean.
Another book I was loathe to put down.
First Sentence: If he'd known that this was the day he was going to die, Squire Roger of Throwleigh would have behaved more coolly, but lacking this prescience, he lost his temper instead.

The wedding of Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, is fast approaching. His good friends, Bailiff Simon Puttock and his wife, have come to help him celebrate. Before the wedding, they receive news that one of their expected guests, Roger, Squire of Throwleigh, has died leaving behind a wife and five-year-old son and heir. Soon after the Squire's funeral, they receive news the child is also dead. Baldwin comes to believe the child's death wasn't an accident, but murder.

This book was really a traditional country house mystery set in the Middle Ages. The quality of Jecks writing and research are clear in the details of the story.

The story is very well plotted with twists right up to the last paragraph. There were plenty of suspects, each with a good motive. Jecks does a wonderful job of balancing the harshness of the period with the friendship of Baldwin and Simon.

Baldwin's questions about his marriage, having been a Templar Knight, provide some interesting questions and insights into the character. This series improves with every book and I'm delighted to know I've many books ahead of me.
Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar)
on 25 April 2006
this book is brilliantly written with an exciting plot. Also it has clearly been well researched and theres a great twist to the ending!!!
on 10 February 2013
First the father then the son....... murder most foul, particularly of a 5 year old child. Baldwin has his work cut out in the face of opposition from the wife/mother. Brilliant read which kept me entertained throughtout. Highly recommended as is the rest of the series.
on 29 November 1999
Outstanding - gripping throughout
Michael Jecks gave up a career in the computer industry when he began writing the internationally successful Templar series. Well all I can say is the Computer Industries loss is the reader's gain. He has now written about a score of the Knights Templar mystery books featuring Sir Baldwin de Furnshill and Bailiff Simon Puttock and there are more to follow.

During the trouble reign of Edward II Squire Roger Throwleigh fears that any day might be his last, as the pain in and around his heart increases. He is worried about the fate of his young son and heir, Herbert, but he takes consolation in knowing that his wife Katherine will protect the boy.

Unfortunately just days after Roger falls dead from his horse in the middle of an argument with a tenant he is about to evict, a cart driver runs over Herbert, in what seems to be a cruel accident.

Sir Baldwin is already at the Throwleigh property as he had gone there to attend the funeral. Against the mother's wishes he quickly examines the boy and sure enough, the skull shows signs of being crushed by a heavy object, but Sir Baldwin is not convinced and decides to investigate further.
on 11 January 2014
I have the entire series and more by Micheal Jecks (a few Kindle items, but this series in hardcover and paperback). Were they somehow lost to me, I would gladly get the Kindle versions to replace them. Yet, I still love my EMP impervious 'paper.'
on 20 January 2014
Good read. Michael Jecks is a very good entertaining story teller and I always enjoy reading his books. I know I'm going to be relaxed where I purchase one of his stories.