Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 August 2015
What a great novel, so different from DK's usual style. Full of humour with enough suspense to keep the story flowing. Whacky characters abound with dialogue so sharp & witty it made me laugh aloud many times. Also, I didn't guess (who put the rag doll on his doorstep) until the explanation actually came towards the end. A very clever book that I will read many times, just for the joy of it!
Loved it.
Joy.
on 28 February 2004
I have only started reading Dean Koontz recently but have found him an excellent enjoyable author to read. When I started this book I thought it would be another supernatural adventure/chase story. I was right about that part but the screwball/romantic comedy element of the book took me totally by surprise. These 2 disparate elements were blended beautifully to produce a book that you could not put down but also one that I found myself laughing with also. I was disappointed that it had to end. Read this when you are feeling down - I guarantee it will cheer you up
VINE VOICEon 25 September 2007
Yet another good book by Dean Koontz! I really enjoyed this it was fast paced and suspencefull and had great charactors that were very likeable! Quite scary in places but also a lot of funny bits. The two themes combine very well and the humour does not take away from the thriller parts and vice versa.

Definatly recomended to Koontz fans (if you havnt read any of his books before, this is a good place to start) especially if you enjoyed Life Expectancy which was quite similar to this book.
on 23 January 2004
I have read many of Deans books now and haven't yet come across one I haven't enjoyed. But this one is my personal favourite. I think it was the first one I'd read and got me hooked. Many people might not think horror and humour are a good mix but the character of Deliverance Payne is one of the most entertaining and downright funny I have ever read. And the way she and Tommy interacted was pure joy. I am now working my way through his entire collection!
This book is delightfully quirky and a quick read. Part screwball comedy and part horror story, it will make you laugh and it will make you want to keep the lights on. Filled with rapid, quick fire repartee and lots of non-stop action, I read it in one sitting, as I simply could not put it down, even though it was not at all what I expected.

Tommy Phan is a successful novelist of detective stories. Unfortunately, his Vietnamese mother doesn't see quite it that way. She feels that he is turning his back on his Vietnamese roots, as he has Americanized his name from Tuong to Tommy. He did not wish to become a doctor or work in the family business, as did the rest of his brothers. Tommy is living the American dream, which his mother simply will not accept.

One evening, shortly after returning home, his doorbell rings. When Tommy answers it, there is no one there. He does, however, find a homemade rag doll on his porch, which bewilders him, as he cannot imagine who would leave him such a thing. Taking the doll into his home, the doll's stitches start popping, and so the fun begins.

It is a little more fun than Tommy bargained for, and he flees his home with something evil in pursuit. Ultimately, he runs into Deliverance Payne, a beautiful seemingly intuitive blonde waitress, who gives him a hand in evading his demonic pursuer. She is certainly more than a sum of her parts and is not what she initially seems. Let the games begin! Tommy's life will simply never again be the same.
on 12 July 2002
This book starts off well and kept my attention throughout but the ending was dreadful. Koontz is a fantastic writer but when it comes to endings, they often seem over the top and disssapointing. The ending to this book is the worst yet and after enjoying it so much I felt completely let down. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed some of his other books such as Mr. Murder and the excellent Intensity and I would recommend those to anybody.
on 8 November 2005
This is one of Dean Koontz's "lighter" works. He inserts, at times, a great portion of humour into the story which takes off the edge a bit. It's still a pageturner - there are some really scary moments. There's also a great deal of romance which, as I would imagine makes this novel rather "one for the ladies". I liked most of it - the only things that I didn't find so great were the way the female character Del (Deliverance Payne, funny name???) kept talking in riddles all the time, she obviously liked herself being chryptic and her mum was nice but equally weird with her self-chosen first names: "Call me Julia. Or Rosalyn. Or Winona. Or even Lilith. They're all names I quite like". And "You don't believe in Bigfoot? How odd". Hmmm... oh, well! Tommy's mother with her constant negative remarks was the only one I could have done entirely without. I think the best (and most normal) character of them all was the dog.
So, although Ticktock is surely not one of Dean Koontz' very best books, it's still an enjoyable read. For something more gripping (and serious), I'd recommend "Intensity".
Gina Skinner
[...]
on 24 October 2014
This is one of Koontz's least enjoyable tales. I get that he was going for 'madcap screwball adventure' but the end result is just disappointing. I agree with other comments that you'd be better off picking almost any other Koontz novel. Only read this if you're determined to explore his entire works.
on 2 January 2001
Tick Tock is a superb, fast flowing book with thrills on each page. Dean Koontz is a master of making the most bizarre situations real and very frightening. This book ranks in my favourites written by Dean along with Bad Place, Fear Nothing and his most recent False Memory. I am waiting patiently for the new title and I hope it is as good as this one.
on 17 February 2001
I keep reading this for the simple reason that no matter how many times i do it still makes me cry with laughter,not really like any of his other novels, but read it if you want to lift yourself up from the daily grind of life, this book gives you wings and inflight entertainment.If it does'nt make you laugh you must have zero sense of humour.