on 5 November 2017
I am reading through these William Monk books in order and have just finished 'Sins of the Wolf'. The stories are told in a relatively slow and methodical manner, which makes them very interesting to me. In each story, I have had an idea of where the real culprit comes from, but in each it has been left until the last moment to reveal the depths of greed, depravity or desire to protect a family's reputation. There is no question of knowing who the villain or villains are and working through to convict them - the villains do not in any way reveal themselves through words, actions or expressions - it is left to the reader to try and work through the mystery. Also, the detection work is not quick and does not result in information which can be used in court cases - it is often a last-minute discovery, or moment of understanding, that brings about the conclusion of the original crime. In one earlier story, there is even a miscarriage of justice, resulting in a hanging, which is only addressed after the event. Villains do not always get their just desserts, and are opaque and inscrutable through to the end of the story. It may not be to everyone's taste, but I am really enjoying this series, including the personal relationships between the main players; in one instance, the author brought about a very sweet conclusion to a relationship from a previous book in a natural and heart-warming manner. I would certainly recommend this series to anyone who likes to savour their murder-mystery stories without resorting to the obvious.
on 26 July 2017
I believe that this is the book I have enjoyed most in the series so far, but then I can say that about the previous four books I have read by Anne Perry. It is not full of blood and gore, but it has something more. The author builds the story slowly and carefully, bringing each character into play very sympathetically. I am please that William and Hester have gotten to an understanding in their love hate relationship, it will be interesting to see if it develops further and the relationship between Oliver and Hester becomes clearer. I enjoy these books as the stories although similar are also completely different. I always finish a book with mixed feels = Sorry that I have come to the end of an investigation and trial, BUT also looking forward to reading the next in the William Monk series. I would recommend this series and this author for a good who really done it. Just about to start Cain this brother (book 6).
on 11 October 2013
This was again one that I read years ago from the library and the only thing I remembered about it was the fact that Florence Nightingale had appeared in Hester's defence! Otherwise it was like reading a new book! Thought it one of her best, very well put together.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 December 2017
A great read
on 13 May 2017
Another excellent story from the pen of Anne Perry.
on 30 January 2017
Enjoyed this book
on 10 June 2015
This was another excellent story by Anne Perry with a sting in its tail
Very well presented and narrated by Davina Porter.
Lets have more Anne Perry unabridged audio-books please.
on 9 March 2015
Up to her usual high standards. I feel I personally know all her characters.
on 2 April 2016
Very good story as usual from Anne Perry
on 4 January 2014
I'm in the process of reading this and so far am enjoying it. Anne Perry really takes you back to the late 19th century.