on 6 June 2017
This second-hand item was described as in acceptable condition. However, although obviously not brand-new, it was in more than an acceptable state. Not worth buying new if only for your own use.
on 16 March 2017
Arrived safely, thank you
VINE VOICEon 14 July 2013
The autobiography of English footballing legend, Geoff Hurst. If you don't know who he is you probably shouldn't be reading this review!

An honest and interesting autobiography from his time up until 2006 where there has been a bit added in to build up the anticipation to the 2006 World Cup (where England sadly produced yet another poor performance).
So there is obviously much mention of the World Cup, the other squad players, the manager and the 1970 World Cup where hopes were high for repeat win. But there is also much about his youth, his time at West Ham and his life in football and business following retirement as a player. Such is his status in the game that he can be honest about certain players and the modern game and he has strong views that talent is not enough if you don't put the work in. The flow does move about a bit and there are some elements that are repeated a little, but this is an interesting insight into the story behind England's greatest footballing day.
on 26 March 2008
Upon reading the other two reviews, I can concur that Geoff Hurst is most definitely a true gent as well as a sporting icon.The book served to remind me of the highly favourable impression Geoff first made on me when I had the pleasure and good fortune to meet him back in the early eighties whilst I was working in our family business. Geoff just happened to call in one day unexpectedly on business and unusually, my father was completely starstruck(which was in sharp contrast to his usual nature of being completely underwhelmed by most things in life!)My father and I had a good long chat with Geoff that day (we somehow managed to avoid talking about the Russian linesman and whether or not the ball was over the line for fear of boring him rigid)and what came over loud and clear was that Geoff Hurst is a very pleasant, genuine man with a warm, open nature and a great sense of humour. The autobiography only serves to underline this, firstly because it is written with a good deal of integrity as opposed to employing tittle tattle, gossip and recriminations to try and sell copy, and secondly, the authors many warm references to his wife and family are a welcome change to most football autobiogs,(Cloughie's being one notable exception)proving that despite some folks opinion to the contrary, there are actually more important things in life than football (aren't there??). None of this, however, makes the book dull or in any way self indulgent, in fact its packed full of interesting and humorous anecdotes (particularly Greavsies eating habits before a big game!) together with some relevant and insightful opinions on Englands lack of recent success and what is wrong with todays game.
Finally, I would just like to add that I was rather disappointed by the lack of reviews on here(one of them is even Geoff's agent!) This guy is a national sporting hero for heavens sake and the book itself is a top rate autobiography!!
2 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 11 September 2001
The old Footy autobiography? Often maligned, but of late some cracking football literature has improved the profile. Geoff Hurst has much to say and for me much of it was interesting and warrated. This is a well written book and very readable. The backbone of the story is of course 1966 and the hat-trick - did it cross the line or didn't it? The structure of the book was such that it jumped around and not only discussed Mr Hursts life but his views on the current set-up of the game.
The man comes across as a gent and I for one feel that his career alone deserves this book. Very Good - a true role model.
12 people found this helpful
on 9 November 2011
If you have any interest in football - domestic, international, European - or want to know what it must be like to be a World Cup hero, playing alongside and against football's legends, you'll love this book. I found this autobiography to be everything I hoped it would be and more. Wonderful.
One person found this helpful
on 10 February 2002
I went to a book signing by the legend himself. He was a perfect gentleman. I expected the book to be predominantly 1966 but it was a lot more than that. What came out for me was his love for his wife and children. Football was his life but his wife and children always came first. I bought this book for a piece of history. I started reading and couldn't put it down. This would be good read for football and non football fans alike.
5 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2012
My purchase was for a Christmas gift for a west ham fan, not read much of it yet but looks very promising