Customer reviews

on 7 November 2001
Luscious but not louche, this would make a great Christmas present and conversation starter. It's a book by a cook who sounds as if she has been around the kitchen a few times: in the tradition of Claudia Roden, Hodder not only talks you through the recipe but provides scholarly excursions into its history and glimpses of her own philosophy of cooking. She writes with an engaging conviviality and none of the irritatingly contrived sensuality of la Grande Nigella. Her rich repertoire of recipes reminds us of how barren our traditonal culinary landscape has become, with native ingredients like elderflowers, gooseberries and walnuts supplanted by supermarket exotica.Try "Mucky Mouth Tart" or "Folkestone Pudding Pie". And for those who have always wanted to know the difference between a pie and a tart....tarts have bottoms. I should have guessed.
on 1 November 2004
This has to be one of my favorite cookbooks.For tarts it's streets ahead of anything else I've seen in print. Christmas, birthdays, parties and just 'something nice for lunch' days, this book has something for them all. My only comment would be take a close look at the instructions for shallow/deep flan tin (I've occasionally been caught out with too little filling) Please don't let it be out of print!
on 18 October 2011
Loads of interesting recipes that are easy to do. Good instructions and great pictures so you can see what your finished tart should look like. The book contains a tart for every occasion. This is my second Book of Old Tarts as someone 'borrowed' my first copy and as I use it a lot, I just had to get another.
on 23 May 2015
A real treat. The book works through the ages with recipes in modern terminology, easy to follow and delicious. I put this book to use immediately, unlike some cookery books that rarely get opened, and so far the comments from friends and family have been full of praise.
on 26 May 2014
These were presents for my mum and sister for Mother's Day. I've got a copy and love it. So do they.
My favourite- mucky mouth tart- blueberries and mint, though the modern bake well is pretty brilliant too. Did I mention the strawberries and beer pie... .
on 22 June 2013
What an interesting little book. Full of tarty ideas with historical explanations. I would recommend buying secondhand books when they are no longer in print. This one was in really good nick and worth every penny.
on 3 July 2016
Love the history as well as the recipes 😋. Just need the time to work my way through the book!!!
on 1 November 2016
some really good recipes including some old favourites
on 11 August 2014
Fab book, arrived in good condition. Thanks
on 14 February 2017