Format: Hardcover|Change

Having read the six novels in Tess' `Rizzoli/Isles" series I thought I'd have a go at her earlier work, and Harvest from 1996. Another reviewer here suggests that this is her first book, but in fact it's her 12th - most of the first eleven were romantic fiction which she started writing in 1986. Anyway I was pleased to discover that Harvest is every bit as good as her more recent work, if anything it could quite easily be her latest novel and no-one would notice. I have a feeling that the experiences of central character Dr Abby DiMatteo are strongly adapted from the author's own in her previous career as a physician in Hawaii. It was a chance dinner conversation that inspired Tess to write this, her first medical thriller. The man sitting beside her at the restaurant was an ex-cop who ran a security service protecting American businessmen in Russia. On his last trip abroad, Moscow cops had told him that Russian orphans were vanishing from the streets. They believed the children were being kidnapped by the Russian mafia and shipped abroad as organ donors.

The story so horrified Tess, she immediately called her brother-in-law, a reporter for Newsweek, suggesting he investigate. Newsweek was unable to track down any proof. Weeks later, Tess was still unable to forget those missing Russian orphans. They became the inspiration for the plot of Harvest which was released in hardcover in 1996, and marked Tess's debut on the New York Times bestseller list. Film rights were sold to Paramount/Dreamworks, and the book has been translated into twenty foreign languages.

If you have enjoyed The Surgeon, and the others in that series, I'm sure you'll like Harvest too. It's unlikely to disappoint.
First let me say that I have never read any of the Tess Gerritsen's books before. They are not, or so I thought my type of reading material, but when you are caught near the end of your holiday, having read all the books you brought with you and you are an avid reader, any port in storm, so they say, or at least a raid on my wife's suitcase, for some of her holiday reading material.

Enough waffling, I really enjoyed the book. Tess Gerritsen is a very accomplished writer and also has the imagination to come up with the most audacious plot and also to delve into the minds of extremely disturbed people. I certainly hope that I do not have to go to hospital any time soon.

To give too much away about a suspense novel is counter productive. Suffice to say the plot revolves around a heart transplant and the repercussions that evolve because of it.

I have always said that life is too short to read rubbish, but this book was far from that. So I guess the moral is, give a book with a new subject a try. You never know if the writer is as good as Tess Gerritsen you may even like it.
VINE VOICEon 9 August 2006
I have really become a huge fan of Ms Gerritsen. Aside from her detailed scientific information, her books are always well written and planned out.

Harvest is very readable to say the least. She establishes her characters well and creates a increasingly steady atmosphere throughout the book.

This book was her first medical thriller and the writing may not be as developed as her more recent efforts but it is still a fantastic read.

on 6 June 2015
My title 'Typical Gerritsen, but ...' says it all. I'm a huge fan of her books, especially the Rizzoli & Isles series, but somehow this one just didn't work for me. I find it hard to explain why as I started well and was enjoying it but then began to feel the story didn't quite hang together. I finished the book (eventually) but remained unsatisfied. I still can't work out whether it was just me reading it at the wrong time/place, or if it was the fact it was one of her earliest efforts and she wasn't quite in the flow.
on 8 February 2013
I have read about 6 of Tess Gerritsen 's books and this one is full of intrigue like the others I've read. She dosen't ever disappoint you and I never want the book to end. There are so many twists and turns which I love raher than books where you are able to guess what is going to happen half way throug the book. I'm glad that she has written a lot of books so that I can look forward to readin them all. If you see this book on the shelf- I advise you to get it and I'm sure you will be glad and will enjoy it.
S.Jones
on 7 February 2004
This novel is well written, but pretty much a copy of "Coma" by Robin Cook. The medical detail is convincing (as you would expect from a writer who has been a doctor) but the plot is much less believable (as are the stereotypical Russian baddies). An entertaining read, but not one her best novels.
on 17 December 2013
This book was fantastic, I didn't want to put it down. It kept you in suspense and on the edge of your seat all the time. It was scary to the point of making you wonder if things like this really happen in the real world. An intriguing story with some good characters.
on 24 February 2005
I've seen the posters for Tess Gerritesen's new book so I thought I'd start with one of her earliest. I'm not a huge fan of thrillers but I was immediately struck by the ease with which she not only imparts medical information without patronising the reader, but she paints vivid scenes and characters like no other author I've read recently. There are twists aplenty and the main plotline is threaded throughout with smaller stories that kept me gripped, and nothing is fully finished until the last 2 pages.
A terrific read - she has a new fan.
on 17 September 2015
Medical mystery story, just about believable enough to stop it being silly. A good read, I was drawn in and kept there by fast paced writing and an interesting storyline, something sadly lacking in a lot of books. A few pretty big plot holes but not enough to spoil the overall enjoyment.