Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 April 2009
We bought this for our older son who is 6 as he already has some of the others books in this series. He really loves it. I was really impressed by the content and the number of flaps that you lift up in this book. The information was relatively easy to understand as it is a complex subject to explain to children. It also has extra pages opening within the pages so therefore containg double the information. At the back of the book there was also a small pocket containing a little booklet about the stars and where they appear in the sky each season and in each hemisphere. Overall i think it is a fantastic book for childen and would highly recomend this one and others in the series.
This is a fantastic book for any child with an interest in space. I love all the "See Inside..." books that we have got so far, and this is no exception.

This book really covers a staggering amount of material - and introduces some concepts that I would consider quite hard to grasp, (such as the big bang). However, the book imparts this knowledge in small, bite-sized pieces, (along with the excitement of having to lift lots of flaps!), and my two little boys, (3 and 5), don't even seem to realise that they are learning whilst having fun. Both the boys are completely space mad, and this book gets requested and read again and again. It also includes a really fantastic map of the stars, season by season, and I was amazed by how easily we could spot the different constellations etc. All very exciting for the little ones...and for me too! :) Highly recommended!
on 4 February 2009
We have a few books from this series now. My 7 year old daughter loves them. Lots of flaps, interesting facts, lovely illustrations. Well worth while - she spends hours with them. This one is not the best, but is certainly recommended for any child with an interest in space.
on 15 February 2009
This was bought for my little cousin who loved lifting the flaps to find info. My daughter has the Romans book too. They are both 6y.o and love them
on 25 August 2013
I bought this book for my young son who is fascinated by the planets, stars and solar system. I selected it based on the glowing reviews in Amazon. Unfortunately, I have to disagree. I like the flip the flap approach and the wonderful illustrations and for that, I am giving this book 2 stars rather than 1. But for a younger child, this book is simply not appropriate.

First, the first half of the book is focused on the big bang theory and not on space in general. Of course the origins of the universe are important, but not so much to a young kid. The huge emphasis on explaining the big bang gets boring.

The second thing is that the style of the writing is really aimed at an older child perhaps 10 and up, while the illustrations and flaps are aimed at a younger child.

The third thing is that there is a wonderful fold out drawing of the solar system in the middle of the book. But rather than having the Sun on the left and planets in order to the right, the sun is in the middle and some planets are to the right some to the left. My son looked at it and said, "That is not the order of the planets". It is really confusing.

This book is really intended for an older child, not as an introduction to space for a younger child.
on 4 September 2012
I bought this book for my childrens project at school (they are 8) and are going to be learning about Space. I am already a fan of Usbourne books and read the reviews for this book and thought it would be ideal......It did NOT disappoint. This book is absolutely FANTASTIC. It is full of facts that even I didn't realise about Space. The way that it is presented is EXCITING, COLOURFUL, IMAGINATIVE and very ENGAGING. My children love this book so much, they read it all on their own and don't realise that they are learning at the same time. I would definately recommend this book for ages up to 12 (even adults would enjoy it also!)
on 11 July 2016
Bought this as a present for my 8 year old space mad son. As with all Usborne see inside books, this is a sturdy hardcover book with plenty of facts. The book may seem as though it is aimed at a much younger audience but it is packed with lots of information, teaching young and old alike. The illustrations are colourful with attention to detail. Lift the flaps and cut away pictures make this an interactive book as well as Internet links on the usborne site. We are big fans of this series and are slowly building up the collection. I can see these books being passed down to cousins once mine are too old.
on 13 April 2016
Beautiful book, my niece loved it. Designed so well. Really interactive, great for learning, a book she enjoys and wants to read again and again. She always finds out something new. As my niece states - this is such a cool story because its real.... Its the story of all around the world.

Can't recommend highly enough.
on 8 November 2010
I have bought this book for my 5 year old son for Christmas, he is going to love this! Although he is learning to read, the graphics and 'lift the flaps' are perfect to keep him interested as we talk about the topic. It also, allows me to 'swot up' and be able to answer his questions when we don't have the book to hand!!!
This is a book that will grow with my boys, and I highly recommend - as with all the other 'See Inside .....' range.

See Inside Space (See Inside): With over 50 flaps to lift & a little book of Star Maps
on 19 October 2009
This is a great book for children to learn from and in a way that does not seem like learning. It holds their interest throughout. I bought it for my 8 year old Grand nephew, who thinks it is 'Ace' (which I believe means 'good'or 'great'). He now wants the whole set.