Format: Hardcover|Change

This is the third from the series that I have bought, the other two being the Pirate and the Castle book.

This book in particular has many hidden gems behind the flaps, and there are a lot of flaps to find.

My favorite part and that of my son are the three flaps that describe how a mummy is made. We both love the description of how the internal organs are placed into jars and the brain pulled out from the nose by a hook, then the body immersed in salt to dry it out! Yuck factor of 10.

It actually sounds worse than it is but care should be taken with smaller children.

It is a robust book, it is superbly illustrated and the information it gives is top notch. The book gives hours of pleasure just finding the information.

It's a childrens history encyclopaedia but with a difference. For this price it is a bargain.
on 12 December 2013
This is the third book in the collection we have bought for our 6 year old son. The others were ' Your Body ' and ' How things work' . He loved those two so when he was appearing as an Egyptian in his school play and wanted to know more about Egypt , I knew this would be a perfect book to do the job. The books are quite sturdy and the topics in this book are as follows..
Market Day
The mighty Nile
At the temple
How the rich live
Great pyramids
Royal burial
Egypt in ruins
Who was who
Each topic is spread over two pages, except the last two in the list..one page.
The book has over 70 flaps to lift with facts and some funny quips underneath. Very informative book with lots of detailed illustrations throughout but easy enough for a young child to understand. Our favourite is the section on pyramids which greatly explains how these amazing structures were built , a job so big my son can't get his head around it. I am very pleased with the book and actually enjoy sitting reading through it and talking about it with my son, more than I enjoy playing video games with him, which says a lot..I love video games :)
These books are great and there are so many different subjects in the collection so you will be sure to find something your child is interested in. I hope to have built up quite a collection of these by the time he's older
on 24 August 2010
Our 6 year old loves these 'lift the flap' books, and with some of his best friends obsessing over all things Egyptian, it is thoroughly enjoyed - regularly!! Good content, educational and entertaining - great.
on 8 April 2013
All the rest was there, written so that an able eight-year old could read on his / her own, and the text was on the witty side, but where was the Sphinx? And missing even more were the MUMMIES! For a child, Mummies are a very important part of (Egyptian) life, but in this book they are very mysteriously missing. I looked and looked in vain. Have I missed them somewhere, or has the author that Usborne commissioned made a faux pas?
on 2 November 2012
While to get the complete story it is necessary to read the more academic books that are aimed at adults, sometimes more is needed than words on a page. Ancient Egypt was a very colourful civilisation, and books like this remind us of that fact. Sometimes it is good to look at the pictures and let the mind wander back in time, particulary with a well drawn and well researched book such as this.
on 18 October 2013
If your child has got an intrest in ancient egypt then this is a great stater book and there's enough detail to keep them interested for quite a while. The lift up flaps make it interesting and engaging and the cut aways offer a different perspective. Perfect for 4 and up my 5.5 year old is totally enamoured
on 14 January 2015
Love the Usborne books, my 8 year old is currently doing Ancient Eygpt in school and we both enjoy reading it and lifting the flaps, what a great way to learn! We have the Ancient Rome book too which is also awesome. Keep up the good work, Usborne!
on 1 September 2014
I bought this book for a 5 year old who has shown an interest in pyramids and the ancient egyptians, but it's a little detailed for her. The pictures are very small, full of loads of small details which is great for an older child, but not so good in this case. Loads of flaps to engage the reader and I'm sure it will come back out again in a year or so and be great then.
VINE VOICEon 14 December 2014
Achaeologically correct and detailed pictures, with lift up flaps, giving inside views and further information about the home life of the Ancient Egyptians. Something for a bright child to treasure and learn from.
on 7 February 2014
This was bought, again for a project, and it us a really good hard backed book, as you would expect from Usborne, full of information with pop up flaps with plenty of surprises. Would recommend thus book.