on 7 March 2012
I love Usborne products, and I think this could be a great tool for teaching Arthurian legends (to older children). I knocked a couple of stars off my rating because, unfortunately, Usborne did not supply an age rating on this book, and it really needs one. I bought this for a 3.5 year old who is learning about English history, Arthurian legend and the knights of Camelot, (in a very gentle way.) I thought the book might be a way to supplement his "knight play", but *be warned*, the subject matter is very, very violent and much too mature for a little man. The content doesn't talk much about the code of honour in Arthur's kingdom or among his knights, and deals a lot with beheading green giants and such. I found it much too graphic. I would think, given the level of violence, (OK, to be fair, knights fight and a certain level of violence might be expected) this should be rated at least 8 years old +. That said, I will hang onto the product until my little knight is older, and I would highly recommend other Usborne books on the subject of castles. My little knight thinks the Usborne "What Were Castles For?" book is king, and I loved the links that (the latter book) gave to working castles and castle ruins.
on 6 January 2012
Since my son started reading in Reception it has been a bit of struggle to find interesting but appropriate books for him to read at home. Last year we discovered Usborne Young Reading and I have purchased a number of books from series one, series two and some of the Usborne Beginners Non-fiction books which my son also enjoys. The Adventures of King Arthur was purchased after my son announced that he only wanted to read exciting books not boring books. As he also enjoys 'Merlin' I hoped that this would be a good choice. As it turns out it was an excellent choice. Rather than a struggle to get him to read every day, it is now a struggle to get him to put the book down! He has really enjoyed reading about King Arthur and hasn't minded rereading parts of it to improve his fluency or comprehension etc.
This is not the only book in this series that my son has enjoyed and although I am sure that lots of girls will enjoy this series it is particularly boy friendly. If you are looking for books to inspire your son to practise his reading skills this book and others in the Young Reading Series are worth investing in.
On the Usborne website there is information about which series (1, 2, 3 etc) is suitable for which reading level (1B, 1A etc) and also which book band they fit into if your child's school uses that particular system. Series 2 books are aimed at 1A readers, I think.

Hope this was helpful.
on 8 September 2008
....retold for the 'Usborne Young Reading' series of books.

'Usborne Young Reading Books are carefully graded into levels: - Series One, Two and Three and cover a wide range of subjects to suit all interests and abilities.'

This particular book is from SERIES TWO.

From the back cover:-

'Arthur is just a boy, until he pulls a sword out of a stone. Suddenly, he is King of Britain in charge of a band of brave knights.
But not everyone wants Arthur as their king.
Soon, they are plotting against him.....'

Durable board covers open to 64 shiny high quality pages, split into 6 chapters:-

* The sword in the stone
* The Lady of the Lake
* The Round Table
* Morgan le Fay
* Sir Lancelot
* The last battle

Numbered pages, complete with a pale blue fabric ribbon to keep your page!
Illustrated throughout, with clear, easy-to-follow-text and some speech bubbles.

Example of text:-

From Chapter 3:-
'The Round Table'

'A few years later, Arthur fell in love, with the beautiful Lady Guinevere.
"I want to marry her," he told Merlin.
The wizard didn't think that was a good idea at all.
"You won't be happy," he warned.
But Arthur ignored Merlin's advice.
"I love her!" he insisted
Merlin sighed.
"Well, it's up to you," he said. "I'll ask her father for you."
Sir Leo, Guinevere's father, was delighted.
He was so pleased that he gave Arthur an enormous round table as a wedding present...........'
on 16 July 2013
Bought this for my 6 year old as he wanted to read some books himself, and I liked the theme as he loves knights and history and also just the right length for independent reading. Only gave 4 stars as book he read once and hasn't revisited, though he enjoyed it, it didn't become a favourite
on 10 May 2011
A very well written book for young children, my 5 yr old loves it. Will be buying more books in the series.
on 19 January 2010
Our 5 year old grandson is captivated by the Merlin TV series. This book therefore found a ready audience and entertained him as well as extending his knowledge of the Arthur stories and dramatis personae
on 5 March 2014
Great collection of stories for boy obsessed with King Arthur/Knights etc. Son is almost able to read these himself. HIghly recommend.
on 8 January 2014
Hopefully this will peak the desire ro read more in-depth stories as my nephew grows older. King Arthur tales are so wonderful.
on 22 April 2013
Usborne books work every time for our grandchildren just as they did for our kids when they were young themselves
on 8 January 2016
Good intro to the Legend. Nice pictures. delivered swiftly.