Customer reviews

Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on 14 January 2010
I bought this for my step-daughter who has just turned 10, and is really interested in cookery. I was concerned that the illustrations might be too childish for her, but the book is so well done. The step-by-step instructions are brilliant for kids to follow, and there is a great section on preparation. There are a great range of recipes, from basic to slightly more involved, so allows for some progression. I think this is one she will return to again and again for the basics. I'm very pleased with my purchase, and just so you know, the profiteroles are delicious!
on 11 February 2010
This was my first cookbook at the age of about 8 - and I still have it! The recipes are very easy to follow, don't require a lot of pots and pans, and the results are tasty! My favourite recipe is apple crumble, and for nostalgia reasons also Eggy Bread! (though of course I don't need the book for that...)

The pictures are more like mini-cartoons but are certainly no less helpful than photographs, and the cheery people adorning each page cannot fail to make you smile.

I am very much looking forward to my friends children being old enough to appreciate this and it will be in many christmas stockings in a few years time!

Well done Usborne!
on 2 December 2008
The recipes are great, I regularly make cakes based on the recipes provided in the original 1987 printing of the book.

A word of caution however, I recently bought this for a niece and found that the the Spiral Bound edition of the book is an American edition. The American Edition uses American measurements and ingredients, ie. cups and corn syrup. I believe that the paperback is an English edition, it has proper weight measurements in both metric and imperial and uses ingredients like golden syrup.
on 1 August 2010
Just to echo the other review that the hardback (spiralbound) version uses AMERICAN measurements & ingredients. (e.g. cups instead of gramms & zucchini instead of courgette etc....)

It is mildly irritating to have to alter all the measurements etc, but it is useful to have the hardback version, as the book stays open when cooking & is more durable than a softback.

I really don't understand why they haven't published a UK version in hardback!?

FAB book overall though!
on 23 August 2013
A nice book but as the detail could not be studied before purchase it was too old for the 5 year old I had intended to give it to. Will have to keep it for another year!
on 17 July 2011
I had the original edition as a child. The recipes all work and the tips and illustrations showing methods are great for children and adults learning to cook. I have continued to buy this book as presents. In my opinion, it is the best of the Usborne cookbooks. It is also superior to any student cookbook I have seen.
on 30 November 2008
I have the 1987 print of this book and I have to say I love it.
Favorites include the Chocolate Mousse and chocolate brownies which never fail to impress.
Great for kids and adults alike!

edit: THIS NEW VERSION DOESN'T CONTAIN THE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE RECIPE. I'm assuming it's due to the raw eggs...
on 29 July 2015
Was disappointed with this book generally. There were only a couple of recipes in here that were appropriate and useful for kids.
Also the style is very babyish, targeted at preschoolers to perhaps six but surprised that nowhere in the book mentions asking adults for help in using knifes, ovens etc, no basic safety messaging etc. Would not recommend.
on 27 January 2011
I bought this cookbook as a gift for my little sister and I love it (probably more than she does!). The illustrations are great and it provides clear instructions and simple savoury and sweet recipes. A great way of spending time with my sister and introducing her to cookery.
on 16 February 2014
I do love this book because the recipes are very healthy like using wheatgerm in muesli, brillian! The reason why I have only rated this book 3 stars is because the book does not state how many portions the recipes serve.