I was brought up on these usborne spotters guide, and then progressed to Little Gem identification books. This book has great pictures of all the main flowers you'd expect to see in the British countryside, with check boxes for kids to tick when they have a postive id, and keeps them interested on walks. Purchased for a friend, so we'll see if it works for her.
on 4 October 2017
I bought this for my 87 year old uncle, now he has no excuse to wrongly name the flowers of the field.
The book is well constructed, concise and the prints are beautiful
on 12 August 2017
Easy to use and a nice size for smaller hands. Bought as a gift for my granddaughter. Usual excellent Usborne standard.
on 28 October 2017
Lovely little book for my granddaughter
on 22 March 2017
Nice book
on 12 February 2011
Perfect rucksack-sized book to take out and about. Well illustrated and interesting. Good to have as a referral guide too. You can't really go wrong with any Usborne Spotter's Guides. We have several covering a very wide range of subjects and everyone is good. Excellent for primary school age children to get them and keep interested.
on 26 June 2012
I love taking my dog Alf for walks in the fields at the back of our house, so this little book is ideal in helping me to identify the flowers I see as it is lightweight and fits into my pocket. The flowers in the book are colour coded which makes it easy to follow and the illustrations are delightful. A great little book for beginners.
on 30 November 2012
I chose this because of the good reviews it had received, but I was very disapointed. The illustrations were weak and the selection of flowers was idiosyncratic, and not very comprehensive. I know it is a small book - why I chose it, to bring out into the field, but it won't be coming with me.
on 26 September 2012
This book has clear, large print and does not try to overface the user. If you want your child to identify flowers by colour and flowering season, it offers an appealing introduction. I find that the coloured backgrounds to the pages are distracting and even rather irritating, like background noise. There is a nice chart for scoring to be completed at the back of the book that might appeal to some, but it has no column for where the plant has been discovered!
on 15 July 2013
Excellent book for seeking info regarding some wild flowers we found growing in the garden - even beat the "Local Expert" on BBC Essex Radio!!!!