on 5 June 2013
I choose this book because I am a psychotherapist and fairy tales/children's stories are part of my work. Also I have grandchildren who love stories. I read it to my grand-daughter who loved the pictures and as she is almost 6 years old could follow the story. It was also about the right length for her concentration. For me - I loved the illustrations, brings the story to life; the illustrations brought the little characters alive - loved the subtle colourings. The A5 size is great for carrying around.
on 22 October 2014
This is a beautifully illustrated book & is a good introduction to Alice for a younger child. I am a great fan of the Tenniel pictures but liked the pictures in this edition too. Of course a lot is missing & there are favourite bits from the original which are skimmed over BUT that is the case with any book that is abridged.
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2008
Alice in Wonderland is one of the most well known books ever published and has been produced in many varied formats and versions. In this new Usborne picture book, this classic children's novel has been very cleverly abridged to include only the key episodes and to be contemporary whilst maintaining perfectly the curious feel of the story.
A big square book with light airy illustrations this contrasts nicely with the standard bold primary coloured picture books lining children's shelves these days. The dreamlike quality of the pictures is fitting, and the overriding colour is green which keeps the book non-gender-specific and gives the feeling that the reader is exploring in a beautiful garden. The conceptually difficult notions in the original novel are simply encapsulated in only a couple of straightforward sentences per page as Alice follows the rabbit, grows and shrinks, meets the animals in a salty lake of tears, chats to the caterpillar and the Cheshire cat, joins the Hatter for a tea party, plays croquet with the Queen and ends up in court before waking up back on the riverbank. Simply frabjous!
on 17 December 2013
Very disappointed with the book - buying for an 8 year old I expected the classic tale 'Alice in Wonderland' but actually got a 're-imagined' version lacking almost all of the nuances from the original. This book may well be suited for a younger audience but it should be made clear in the title that this is not Lewis Carroll's original.
on 7 April 2013
Worth 5 star, it's a classy little book with the hardback and wonderful illustrations and the ribbon to remind you where you at the last time, this little ribbon impressed my 4yr old grandaughter so much she calls it "her special book". Also the story is told in a way that a young girl understands. It's worth every penny and more. Thank you....
on 3 September 2009
This is a beautiful looking book I bought for my two year old son to read him a shortened version of a classic story. Very pleased with it. Im sure it will last for many years to come with him eventually reading back to me.
on 2 March 2014
I'm a 9 year old girl i bought this book for world book day and I read it and it was amazing.
on 1 June 2014
I bought the book for my granddaughter who is not yet 3! She loves Alice and I wanted an easier version for her.
This is a great book... although she likes the pictures from the original better.!
I'm very happy with this purchase.
on 25 January 2014
A beautifully illustrated and well-edited version of a favourite story. Just right to introduce a new generation of children to this timeless tale.
on 4 March 2014
I bought this for my granddaughter aged 9 assuming it was the full length Lewis Carroll classic. It turned out to be a much shortened version written for a FIVE year old (at most) by an unidentified author. Although "based on the story by Lewis Carroll" is printed on the front of the cover this is NOT made clear on the Company website.

I feel that it will be an insult to my granddaughter's intelligence and would advise anyone thinking of buying this or any others in the series to THINK AGAIN. Finally why do these offerings have to be printed in China? Words fail me!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse