Format: Cards|Change

on 12 July 2008
I have had these cards for a while now and use them in my childminding setting for playing snap and learning french words. All the children from the very young to the old love them. And it is great to hear recently that one of the 10 year olds I look after said it really helped her with french lessons at school.
They are well designed and durable and the pictures are really appealing to all ages.
on 14 March 2011
I cannot fault the quality of the card used - hence the two stars. However, what a disappointment to find only 12 French words. I found la montgolfière to be a very strange choice since it is stated that this is 'a great way for young children to learn simple French words . . . .' There are many simple French words but I would not count la montgolfière among them!
on 3 January 2012
Well, the cards are attractive with nice pictures, clear printing and are well made. We had fun matching and learning the words at first, and then playing Snap, which helped fix them in the kids' memory.

But now what? We can't keep repeating the game forever, and there are only 12 fairly random nouns. (Why would a beginner need to learn "hot air balloon" ?). Note to Usborne publishers: you can't learn a language just through nouns!! - they do the same thing in their video. First Fun With French [1994] [DVD]

These cards would probably be worthwhile if I were teaching classes in a school and could re-use them every year. But for a family it's not really substantial enough, and there don't seem to be any add-on sets available.

I haven't tried these French for Beginners Flashcards (Usborne Language for Beginners Flashcards) myself, but (speaking as a language teacher, albeit to adults) they look like a better purchase. And these look reasonable too. French Berlitz Kids Flash Cards.
on 9 February 2009
Great idea for getting children into French language, a fun way to learn, and a big hit all round
on 15 September 2010
The snap cards are a recent addition to my French resources as a primary MFL teacher. They are an excellent resources that the children can use easily as they are familiar with playing the game. An excellent way to consolidate language learning.
on 18 August 2013
I bought these before going on holiday to France with family including twin 7 year olds. We all (adults as well) had great fun playing snap we awarded points for correct pronunciation of words. My only criticism is I would have like more words or perhaps a 2nd game with more advance words to follow.
on 11 November 2013
Purchased these for my 2 year old grandson who is being taught French by his bi-lingual Mother. Good quality and a nice size. Sturdy with clear pictures and text. A good price and something he will play with and soon get to recognise simple French words.
on 13 August 2009
My children all love these snap cards (aged between 4 & 8). Bright, sturdy cards and they don't even realise that they are learning at the same time we're playing. Great stocking filler.
on 30 October 2011
the only drawback is that there aren't as many different cards. It is good nonetheless, just hoped for more words to teach my daughter.
on 17 December 2011
My 5 1/2 year old daughter loves playing 'snap' and 'matching pairs.' These cards do the job well and are a great quality with lovely pictures. She is learning French at school and these are a sweet addition to her learning!