on 25 February 2013
Lovely book to help children and adults improve their french. This book is suitable for old children but it is helping me improve my vocabulary so I can teach my children
on 2 August 2013
just what you need to learn the words for everyday objects - it is the only way to learn and it is broken down into the environments that each word is applicable to
on 30 August 2013
It may be second hand but my 'First thousand Words' arrived when it was expected, in very good condition, nicely packed. It's just what I hoped it would be - large, busy pictures that encourage discussion with a teacher on 'what's happening?' The pupil is aided by labelled icons around the margins of the page giving the French word for the mini-picture. I'm delighted with the book and hope there's a Second Thousand .......
on 10 February 2011
I am so pleased with this book! The quality of the pages are excellent and the content is exactly what I wanted. The pages are split out into different areas in the home, or places such as the fair, the hospital and the shop and all the pictures on each page are shown individually around the edge of the page along with the French words.

It also includes pages on opposites, the human body, the family, and numbers and there is a glossary at the back of all the French words that are used in the book as well as the English translation.

The best thing about this book is the web link that is given at the start. This allows you to log on to the Usborne website, select the book and page number you are learning and lists all the words on that page. You can then click on each word and hear how it is pronounced in French which is excellent!

A great book with lots of uses for those learning French.
on 18 December 2009
As an introduction to French - especially for real little ones - it's hard to imagine anything better. Let's assume in the first place that you have a reason to guide them toward a grasp of the language and all things French. The books are fun to read, even with tots who love the pictures. There are so many things to 'find' and, never mind the French, the book is great for developing their English. I have two 2.1/2 year old grand-daughters and they love pouring over the first 1000 words - even to the extent that they take them to bed, reading on their own until sleep comes !

Not to force things, I guess that, when the time is right, it's going to be such fun for them to learn French words.

A top product.
on 6 November 2012
This book is a great start for all ages. Each double page has a main picture of a particular topic surrounded with individual items/pictures and translation. I bought this book for myself and my 7 and 4 year old nephews thought it was great and made a game of calling out the word in French and finding the matching picture. There are also pages of the basics e.g numbers, colours, shapes. My husband used to use the Spanish thousand words book for teaching - both adults and children - and has now just bought the German thousand words for himself. All a beginner needs!
on 19 July 2011
Really like this. Well laid out with interesting scenarios to include all the different words. My children liked this and I have now bought it for my grandchildren.
on 2 February 2013
arrived quickly, nicely packed and beautiful, just what i wanted, would recommend it. book easy to use, plenty to look at and describe to practice vocal
on 13 May 2013
this is a very good book for children and adults alike. I highly recommend it. There is a dictionary in the back that help with the pronoucation.
on 10 October 2011
This book has been of great fun to me and my family in the course of learning French. It receives my highest recommendation.