Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 October 2015
This book is really more for brushing up on the language. It could also be used as a companion to other study materials. The worksheets that is claimed is more like picture quizes, or say what you see out loud type. I was wanting something more classroom style. I do not regret buying this book, however.
on 25 February 2014
..........like me. As a sixty something trying to learn German I find this book at just the right level, it is not heavily biased towards grammar but gives helpful advice in everyday situations. I presume that basically it is aimed at youngsters, but it is colourful, well set out and makes learning fun.
Well, almost.
I have not yet tried the cd,but I am sure it would be useful for pronunciation. The service was very efficient, and the book was excellent value for money. I also have "Your First Thousand Words In German" in the same series and it augments the conversation and sentence construction with lots of useful everyday vocabulary.
on 17 September 2010
Ok so this only touches on very basic grammar and vocab, but in that respect, it's excellent. A thoroughly good starter to the German language, for young or old.
on 4 April 2014
Having learned German at school I wanted to brush up prior to a holiday. I found most of the words familiar and the illustrations apt and amusing. I now need to go to a more advanced level and will look for the next stage. It arrived the following day after ordering, less than 24 hours. Well done Amazon!
on 28 July 2015
The whole point of learning a new language is to make it easy to hear. The man on the CD sounds muffled as if in the next room when he is saying the all important German translation.

Such a disappointment as otherwise good
on 12 August 2014
Fun way to learn and good introduction to forming sentances. Only criticism is the audio is quick for younger children.7 year old found is hard to maintain attention and keep up with its pace. Good for slightly older children and adults with no german knowledge
on 31 May 2011
I bought this item for my goddaughter's 8th birthday. She is very bright (maybe I am biased) and will be going to Germany on holiday this summer. She already speaks a few words of French from holidays there and I wanted her to be able to say a couple of words in German when she goes away. This book and CD (I haven't heard the CD yet) fit the bill perfectly. It won't turn her into a German speaker, but it will give her a few words so that she will have a starting point when she encounters other children or goes into a shop.
on 5 February 2011
This does exactly what it says on the tin. It's German for beginners and covers the basics. The book is ok by itself, but you also get the audio CD which talks through the main points and has an hours worth of dialogue.

The cartoons imply it was probably aimed at children, but if you've never done German before it doesn't matter what the pictures look like! I also never had a problem with the volume of the native German speakers, rather, just that they occasionally say their lines quite fast.

For a few pounds more you can get much more comprehensive sets. This one is not good value for money.
on 18 November 2011
This is a really good book for children who learn German. It covers the basics and the pictures make it fun. When you go to Germany you will hear many of the words and phrases mentioned in the book.

Just two things: The book states that the German for Miss is "Fräulein". Theoretically that is correct, however, Fräulein is an antiquated term. The only situation in which you might hear it is when someone calls a waitress in a restaurant and even that is changing. All other women are always addressed as "Frau" and will be very surprised or even insulted if you address them as Fräulein.

Also be aware that "Mutti" is lower middle-class and working-class, "Mami" or "Mama" would be better. This is one of the few language based class markers in German.
on 16 April 2016
After using this for a day, I like the style and the CD and feel it lays things out clearly. My only issue is that when I showed it to my German friend some of the language is apparently outdated so I may have to invest in a more current course before I travel. This book is a good place to start though :)