on 22 March 2004
The Amazon synopsis for this book says what's wrong with this book: "This title deals with everyday situations in which children may find themselves while abroad." And therefore it's almost completely useless. As far as I know, no-one actually learns Latin to speak it on holiday. This book appears to be a Latin version of a book designed for learning French or German. So you learn how to ask someone's name, to buy an ice-cream, to go swimming, etc. There is almost no grammar in it at all, and it will not help you (or your child) read even the simplest of the classical authors. All that can be said for it is that it's attractively put together, with bright lively pages, but so is "Minimus", which I recommend instead.
22 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2008
This book is a good way of inspiring interest in the Latin language - especially for younger children. However, it's not much use as a structured way of learning Latin and of very limited value as a preparation for reading ancient texts.
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2006
Salvete

I must say that this little booklet delivers more than I thought.

I was worried to find another boring to death Latin textbook that will cram your head with grammar and will give you almost nothing else..

Well, good news.. This one does not ! AT LAST a book promoting living latin.. a latin colloquial enough to be able to use..

Ok.. with who ? first yourself, nothing wrong in discovering a LIVING language.. it s nice to bring back to life The universality of Latin..

2nd. once you ve realised what a treasure latin is, you may want to share it with people around you, not only to read Plautus or Ovides, or harrius potter but simply, for the pleasure of challenging your brain by bringing back to life a language that was once, The Universal langage of the western world..the language used in colleges and university until the beginning of the XX century, a language strong enough to get Cicero into trouble, sexy and erotic enough to be read in some X rated pages from ovides in the "ars amatoria".. or scientific enough for Pline the elder to write about the vesuvius explosion, the one that destroyed Pompeii..

I think that it is about time that we all realise that Latin is not dead... just temporaly asleep.

This book is a lovely and fun wake up call..
on 25 August 2010
Like most people of my age, Latin was a compulsory subject for state exams. I last closed my Longmans Latin Grammar summer 1956, and forgot about the subject. As time passed I regretted that I did not continue to read latin. The book Latin for Beginners takes a different approach to that taken in the schools of my time; instead of learning off declensions and conjugations etc., to the point of boredom, it gets straight away into everyday language so that if one wanted to, one could hold simple conversations with others of a like mind. Unfortunately due to illness I have been unable to explore the entire book with it's internet links, but I am glad I bought it, and look forward to exploring it more fully.
on 8 May 2012
As an adult beginner, you may not like this as a book written for children. It has bright, lively cartoons of characters speaking the same phrases that you can find in any beginners' conversational, modern language book, but in latin. But, if you want just fifty pages of simple, fun learning about how to say, for example, "do you speak Latin? Yes, I speak a little Latin", then this is the book for you. The website has some interesting extension information about the Roman world. As other reviewers have said, you won't get a thorough introduction to the language from this, but you will learn a little vocabulary and grammar. As an adult, you can have a little entertainment, and a break from the serious beginner books, and who says you can't?

p.s. It is irritating when publishers advertise how you can speak the language on your travels, though. Okay use the same format as modern languages, but bother to change the advertising copy.
on 5 July 2011
For a beginner this is a useful way of picking up some "colloquial" Latin. Proof reading is a bit suspect as it gives a link on page 3 to learning Irish for beginners!Substitute Latin for Irish and you are back on track!It is produced in comic strip style with grammar and vocab boxes with exercises and answers in the back of the book. You get on line access to a full Latin dictionary and it covers numbers dates time colours months seasons greetings etc. Quite a pleasant way of introducing what is often perceived as a stuffy and obscure language. For the price it is very good value but be warned - the comic strip format may be considered a bit dumbed down by some people - Personally, at the age of 70, I found it quite entertaining.
on 30 September 2013
I am learning Latin and have decided that I need to start from the very basics, as I was finding it hard, to conjugate verbs, and remembering all the declensions. So although this is aimed at children, I have found it very useful, and I am ready to move into the adult world of Latin.

I would definitely recommend this for children learning Latin
on 3 August 2012
Straightforward and well laid out.My daughter has done 1 year of Latin at school and is finding this book great. However, the way it is laid out and presented makes it accessible to anyone who hasn't studied Latin, too - me, for example. It is a really great little buy.
on 30 May 2014
This book is rubbish in my opinion. unlike a dictionary which helps define how the word is supposed to sound it leaves you guessing.

My Son read it and pronounced the words differently from me. You can go to a website to get help but what s the point in that? Not be taking this book on holiday unless I take my laptop and pay to roam also.

Save your money folks.
on 4 May 2016
language which children do not learn in lessons, totally useless as a revision guide, trying to modernise a unused language, Latin is not French and not spoken in the same way or studied in the same way, my son's both said it is not useful for there common entrance exam which i bought it for, they are not going to the bakers, they are studying wars etc. and ancient scripts which refer to this not going to buy trainers etc. or objects around the town and house..