on 19 August 2005
I was given this book at the birth of my first child & found it invaluable - I'm now buying copies for all my pregnant friends (currently 3 of them: we've obviously all got to that age...)I think it's great; it gives you lots of practical advice on how to amuse a baby/toddler at various ages, and tells you what sort of things they can learn to do and might enjoy. I particularly liked the suggestions on what household items might be used for babies to look at, listen to, hold, kick at, etc. - this gives the kid plenty of variety without the parents having to shell out on lots of toys which, let's face it, are only going to interest the baby for 5 minutes.
I read both the other reviews of this book (because I was surprised it hadn't got a 5-star rating overall!), and I think they both might have a point. I agree with the second review that the book's very useful. On the other hand, when my baby was born, I was in the position described by the first review (i.e. of never having spent 5 minutes with a baby before)! But I think there are probably plenty of us first-time mums out there who would be as grateful as I was for a good basic guide to what the baby might enjoy and how they should be developing at different ages. So, 5 stars.
on 27 January 2000
I first borrowed this book from my sister and I'm about to buy my own copy. It contains loads of good ideas for amusing babies and toddlers from 0 months upwards. Particularly useful is the guide of development milestones and play activities to encourage development. The best thing is that it does not sermonise or preach and it is easy to read and understand. I will also be buying a copy for any of my friends who are expecting - more useful than a babygrow! Regards - amanda
on 3 November 2003
I was very disappointed by this book - it contained very basic advice on how to entertain a young baby- eg. play peekaboo or take baby on a walk. This book might be OK if you have never spent a few minutes with a baby before, but otherwise is not worth buying.
on 1 June 2010
A very useful guide, packed full of ideas and how to....
Makes a good gift for the new parent or the Mum or Dad to be.
Well illustrated, maybe needs updating in terms of health and safety advice due to our current obsession with it (e.g. homemade toys) but I'm all for the old school approach of making your own entertainment.
There are some good games to play with babies too that also help their development so a useful 'tool' for those who need ideas on what they can do with their baby and are not familiar with old rhymes, traditions etc.
on 12 January 2013
Excellent book and a must read for every parent. It offers you handy tips to stimulate your baby brains and keep them engaged.
on 2 December 2008
Just a quick note to say I love this little book.
It gives lots of ideas of things to do with your little one and OK none will win the prize for innovation but it will remind you of things your mum did with you.

I particularly like the fact it is structured by activity type not by age though there is a handy table at the back. Also it is useful from birth not just once they have got sitting up.

It has lovely fun pictures too so you could almost use it as a picture book with not so little ones.
on 7 April 2015