on 30 July 2017
tells the real story, a good book
'STRETCHER BEARER' is to my mind a brilliant book and should be compulsory reading for youngsters studying the Great War today. I have nothing but admiration for Charles Horton for committing to memory in the latter days of his life - a graphic record of a highly intelligent Christian young man (19) serving as an unarmed stretcher-bearer - wanting to save life, rather than take it. A product of a Methodist family and of Handsworth Grammar School in Birmingham - he was essentially a pacifist - but one who also wished to serve his country.

With my late wife, I have re-traced the steps of my father who served as a stretcher-bearer in France and Flanders for over three years - covering much the same ground as Charles Horton and witnessing the same gruesome sights. My Dad was discharged in 1918 - suffering from 'severe neurasthenia' or in simple terms, half-mad. He too was a very gentle individual who counted every extra day following the 'War to end wars' - as a bonus. I was moved to tears when reading this book. What a bloody waste of life.
ROBERT B. WORLEY.
on 18 December 2013
Reading this brought home the dangers and daily expectation of being pushed in to no-mans land to retrieve, comfort, give first aid to those troops who had gone before and been shot, maimed, dismembered. To go over the top unarmed, to be shot at while bringing a comrade home. To sadrifice your life or be willing to to save someone elses. These are the unsung heroes of the RAMC. Memories written when the mind tiries to forget the horror of the Somme, Ypres and then to the italian front.
on 29 June 2013
I chose this book as I am researching my family history and my great uncle was a stretcher bearer. It gives a real insight into what they went through and I recommend this book to anyone who is also researching the First World War.
on 4 March 2014
This book is OK, but not what I expected. It tells the life story of Charles Horton and includes his service as a stretcher bearer in the Great War but as a book about that War itself it is disappointing. The account of his war service is only about half to two thirds of the book and the rest is a biography of a survivor of that terrible time in our history.
on 10 April 2017
While I enjoyed this book it was not what I imagined. Interesting though to understand the demands, both physical and psychological, that were made on these brave men. Also in this case the underlying belief of the futility of war and the unwillingness to kill but yet to do one's bit. The stretcher bearers of World War One were brave men, a fact that in my recollection has never been fully acknowledged.
on 18 September 2014
Not quite what I had hoped; lacking in detail and more of an advertisement for non combatant duties. Did I learn much from it? Sadly no but it does chronicle the life of Charles Horton RAMC
on 6 March 2014
I am very interested in the Great War I feel guilty saying this
but I felt there was not enough information or story after the first few chapters
Even though they were very brave men
on 23 June 2014
This is supposed to be a diary of a stretcher bearer infact only about half is. The rest is written by Dale de Vac and I found some of his comments very patronising. All the stretcher bearer talks about is the places he went to very little about the soldiers he helped ...not explicit enough for my liking .
on 18 September 2014
this book was so good I felt so much for the writer